Mortuary Science State Licensing Exam
The mortuary science state licensing examination shall encompass the laws and rules of Minnesota that pertain to the practice of mortuary science.The commissioner shall make available copies of all pertinent laws and rules prior to administration of the state licensing examination.
The exam has 75 objective multiple choice questions. 75% is passing. You cannot miss more than 19 questions. If you do not get a passing score, you must wait two weeks before retaking the exam.
Applicants must demonstrate they meet the educational requirements before taking the mortuary science state examination.
The educational requirements in Minn. Stat., section 149A.20, subd. 4, states the person shall have:
(1) received a bachelor of science degree with a major in mortuary science from an accredited college or university;
(2) received a bachelor of science or arts degree from an accredited college or university and completed a separate course of study in mortuary science from a college of funeral service education accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education; or
(3) completed credit hours at accredited colleges or universities that in the numerical aggregate and distribution are the functional equivalent of a bachelor of arts or science degree and have completed a separate course of study in mortuary science from a program of mortuary science accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education.
Each applicant is given up to two hours to complete the examination. If there are any special considerations or accommodations needed to take the examination, please let our office know at the time the examination is scheduled.
Dates and Times
You will be contacted via phone or email when the next exam is scheduled.
The fee of $125.00 must be made payable to the Minnesota Department of Health, mailed to the Minnesota Department of Health, and accompany one of the following applications:
- Mortuary Science Internship Registration
- Mortuary Science License by Reciprocity
- Initial License to Practice Mortuary Science
- Renewal (If reapplying and we do not have your lapsed file)
Follow the instructions on the additional applications listed above. If you are retaking the exam, you must submit this application and fee again.
Exams are online through Microsoft Teams. The platform has built-in security features that protect the integrity of the exam and the identity of the applicant.
If you would like to receive an email notices when this page gets updated, please subscribe: Subscribe to Mortuary Science Announcements