Nursing Assistant Registry
- NAR Home
- In-Facility Testing
- Nurse Aide Registry Search
- Nurse Aide Resources
- Nurse Aide Testing
- Training Program and Test Site Calls
- Training Program Test Data
- Contact Us
Last Updated: 12/20/2022
Who Can Work as a Nursing Aide in a Nursing Home or Certified Boarding Care Home
- An individual not on the Registry can be hired as a nursing aide if they are immediately enrolled in an approved nursing aide training course at the time of hire, complete the course and competency test and get on the Minnesota Registry within four (4) months. The nursing home or certified boarding care home must assure that the person is competent to provide cares to residents.
Persons working for a temporary agency must be on the Registry before they are eligible to work in a nursing home or certified boarding care home.
- A person who has completed a training and competency evaluation program or competency evaluation program approved by Minnesota and is on the Registry.
- A person who can prove completion of a nursing aide training and competency evaluation program or competency evaluation program approved by Minnesota but is not yet on the Registry.
Persons may provide test scores that demonstrate that they have passed both the knowledge and skills test. The facility will make the determination if this is acceptable and must verify placement on the Registry, according to CFR 483.35 (d)(4).
- Persons opting to challenge the test without having taken an approved nursing aide training program may not work as a nurse aide until they have passed both the knowledge and skills portions of the test. They do not have 4 months to get on the Registry if they challenge the test without completing a nursing aide training course.