- Thoroughly cook raw meat to destroy bacteria.
- Ground beef and hamburgers should be cooked thoroughly.
- Using a thermometer to measure the internal temperature of meat can be used to ensure that it is cooked sufficiently to kill bacteria.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F.
- Grilling and Barbecue Safety
Grilling or barbecuing is a fun way to cook and serve food. But they can also be a means to transmit disease if care is not taken in how the food is handled.
Basic information about the safety of irradiation, how it is used to protect people from foodborne illness, and which foods can currently be irradiated (including hamburger).