Well Sealing Financial Assistance - Minnesota Department of Health

Well Sealing Financial Assistance

Soil and Water Conservation Districts

Most county Soil and Water Conservation Districts (SWCD) have a state cost-share program* to promote natural resource conservation practices in the county. This program is primarily intended for rural and agricultural properties and the funds can be used for sealing wells. Each SWCD manages its own program. Contact the local SWCD office in your county for details.

*A cost-share program reimburses the property owner for only part of the cost of well sealing.

Minnesota Counties

Several counties** also have cost share funds to assist private well owners in sealing unused wells. Contact your local county’s website and search for well sealing.

**Ramsey County, Capitol Region Watershed District includes parts of Falcon Heights, Lauderdale, Maplewood, Roseville, and St. Paul. The address of the property with the well must be in the district.

Natural Resources Conservation Service

Some counties also provide financial and technical assistance programs through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) which is through the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). This program is primarily intended for rural and agricultural properties. The program is limited to agricultural producers, who are property owners who raise food or fiber on the property. Depending on the county, well sealing (called "well decommissioning" in EQIP) is eligible by itself for financial assistance or is eligible if submitted with other conservation practices. Contact the local NRCS office in your county for details.


Preapproval is required for all of these programs. Arrangements for financial assistance must be completed before a well is sealed.

State law requires that well sealing is done by a licensed well contractor.  To find a licensed well contractor, visit the MDH Well Management Section, Licensed Well and Boring Contractor Directory.

Of Interest

Grants and Loans for Home Water Treatment and Well Construction, Repair, and Sealing


Well Management Section
651-201-4600 or 800-383-9808

Go to > top

Updated Wednesday, 17-Aug-2022 08:57:01 CDT