Prescription Drug Price Transparency
To increase transparency into the pricing of prescription drugs, the Minnesota Legislature passed and further amended the Minnesota Prescription Drug Price Transparency Act requiring MDH to develop a system for collecting and reporting data from drug manufacturers, wholesalers, pharmacy benefit managers, and pharmacies on prescription drug prices (Minnesota Statutes 62J.84).
MDH will publicly post reported data on this website and produce an annual report to the legislature. In addition to synthesizing findings from data reporting, the goals of these efforts are to demonstrate how the initiative meets three goals of the law:
- Promote transparency in pharmaceutical pricing in Minnesota.
- Enhance the understanding of pharmaceutical spending trends.
- Assist the state and other payers in the management of pharmaceutical costs.
New Initiatives related to prescription drug affordability from the 2023 legislative session are summarized in the 2023 New Minnesota Initiatives for Rx Affordability (PDF).
Please refer to this page to monitor progress, access resources, ask questions and sign up for our email updates for news and notifications.
- Information related to the Prescription Drug Price Transparency Act.
- Reported data and charts on prescription drug prices.
- Reports to the legislature.
- Materials and notes from public meetings.
- System for reporting entities to register & submit data.
- Provide input on drugs with substantial public interest transparency reporting.
- MDH lists of drugs of substantial public interest.
- Questions and answers about Minnesota’s Prescription Drug Price Transparency Act.
- Updated Reporting Guidance for Prescription Drug Price Transparency.
- Related resources from other agencies.