Long-term Care Facility Visitor Management Guidelines while Influenza is Circulating in the Community
For all visitors:
- Post signage at all facility entry points restricting ill visitors to enter such as STOP: Protect Our Residents
- Post notices in facility newsletters and other communications to resident families reminding ill visitors not to visit.
- Instruct visitors to limit their movement within the facility.
- Place alcohol-based hand sanitizer at every entry point with signage that instructs visitors to clean their hands upon entering the facility.
- Post Cover your Cough signs throughout the facility.
- Encourage all visitors to receive seasonal influenza vaccine as soon as possible.
For those visiting ill residents:
- Limit visitors for residents ill with influenza-like illness to persons who are necessary for the patient's emotional well-being and care.
- Instruct visitors to clean their hands before entering and upon leaving the resident's room.
- Instruct visitors to wear PPE as indicated for that resident and per facility policy.
- Instruct visitors not to visit other residents before cleaning their hands and removing PPE (if worn).