TB Contact Investigation
Tools and procedures for local public health departments who conduct tuberculosis contact investigations.
Contact investigation report
- Tuberculosis Contact Evaluation Form (Word template)
Evaluation form to be completed by local and tribal public health when evaluating an individual TB contact. Available as a Word document should local and tribal health prefer to customize the form.
- Summary Report of a TB Contact Investigation in a Health Care Setting (Word)
Report form to be completed by a health care facility to provide a summary of any screening performed in their facility among staff and/or patients as a result of exposure to a pulmonary TB patient.
Contact investigation template letters
- Template Letter to Notify a Contact of Their Potential Exposure to TB (English) (Word)
Letter to inform a contact of his or her possible exposure to TB and the recommendation to receive a TB evaluation.
- Template Letter to Notify a Physician of Their Patient's Potential Exposure to TB and the Need for an Evaluation (Word)
Letter to inform a physician of their patient's potential exposure to TB and the need for a full TB evaluation.
- Template Letter to Notify a Physician of Their Patient's Potential Exposure, Positive TST (and/or TB Symptoms) and the Need for Further Evaluation (Word)
Letter to inform a physician of their patient's exposure to TB, positive TST and/or TB symptoms and the need for further evaluation (chest x-ray).
- Template Letter to Notify a Health Care Facility of a Pulmonary TB Patient Who Has Been in Their Facility (Word)
Letter to inform a health care facility of a pulmonary TB patient who was at their facility during the potential infectious period and the recommendation to evaluate staff and/or other patients who may have had significant exposure.
- Template Letter to Notify a Patient of Their Potential Exposure to TB Disease While at a Health Care Facility (Word)
Letter to inform a patient of their potential exposure to TB while at a health care facility and the recommendation to receive a TB evaluation.
Contact investigation evaluation form template
- Evaluation and Treatment of Immunocompetent Tuberculosis (TB) Contacts and TB Contacts ≥ 5 Years of Age (PDF)
- Evaluation and Treatment of Immunocompromised Tuberculosis (TB) Contacts and TB Contacts < 5 Years of Age (PDF)
Contact investigation guidelines
for the Investigation of Contacts of Persons with Infectious Tuberculosis
National guidelines for performing investigations of persons with infectious TB.
Education and training
- TB Contact Investigations
Patient education fact sheet describing what a TB contact investigation is and why it is important. It is currently available in English and 15 other languages.
- Effective TB Interviewing for Contact Investigation: Self-Study Modules
A series of 4 modules, including an overview of the TB interview for contact investigations, basics of communication and patient education, cultural competency, and special interview circumstances.
- Effective TB Interviewing for Contact Investigation: Facilitator-Led
Training Guide (2006)
An interactive, skill-building guide designed to improve the knowledge and proficiency of TB staff responsible for conducting the TB interview. Guide is intended for facilitators who will be conducting TB interviewing courses.