Last Updated: 11/14/2022
Health Information Clearinghouse Resource List
The information below is provided for information purposes. We make no endorsements or recommendations regarding any of the following listings.
- Cover All Kids Information on health coverage and preventive care for Minnesota's children and families Kids Count Children's Defense Fund Minnesota 651-227-6121.
Federal government sites
- Agency for Health Care Research and Quality
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services,
formerly Health Care Financing Administration
410-786-3000 (recording only)
- Food and Drug Administration,
U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services
612-334-4100 (local office)
- Health and Human Services
Health and Human Services www.healthfinder.gov provides consumer's with health and health services information
- Maternal and Child Health information
Health Resources and Services Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Medicare information, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- National Library of Medicine
Health - Health Coverage
- List of health plan companies (PDF)
that are licensed to sell to individuals and families in Minnesota.
- Minnesota Department of Human Services
Health coverage offered through the following public programs: Medical Assistance and MinnesotaCare
- Minnesota Comprehensive Health Association (MCHA)
1-866-894-8053 Health coverage for people who are high risk and cannot get covered in the private market due to pre-existing conditions. For MCHA Medicare supplement call 952-992-2345 or 1-800-906-5432.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Insurance options for individuals, families, small employers, and self-insured. Also has information on prevention, quality, health reform law, health coverage information.
- Consumer Information on Health Plans, Health Benefits Education Campaign various federal publications on COBRA, HIPAA Portability, more
Consumer information on COBRA/Minnesota continuation coverage and portability
Free or Reduced Cost Health Care
- Hennepin County
formerly Assured Care, for Hennepin County residents who do not qualify for other public programs 612-348-6141
320-240-3157 or 1-800-575-2982
- Children's Defense Fund 651-227-6121
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services, metro area 651-431-5940, TTY 888-206-6513
- Essential Community Providers, for high-risk and special needs individuals and individuals with limited access to health care services
- Community Health Service Inc. 218-236-6502 or 1-800-842-8693
Minnesota Department of Health, Refugee Health Program Health Resources Directory for Diverse Cultural Communities 651-201-5414
- Portico Healthnet, formerly Metro East Health Program, 651-603-5100, for residents of Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey and Washington counties who don't qualify for other public programs. Portico Healthnet Clinic Referral Line 651-489-2273 or toll free 1-866-489-4899 (Calls previously answered by the Neighborhood Health Care Network to assist callers looking for lower cost clinics.)
- Sage Screening Program, formerly the Minnesota Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Program, 1-888-643-2584
- United Way 2-1-1, formerly United Way - First Call for Help, Call 211 or 1-800-543-7709 to reach your local area. Twin Cities area can also use 651-291-0211. Provides information about and referrals for health services, health issues, counseling, child care, legal help, transportation, and more.
Lower Cost Dental Services
- Minneapolis District Dental Society 651-631-9845
- Minnesota Dental Association 651-767-8400 or 1-800-950-3368
Portico Healthnet Clinic Referral Line 651-489-2273 or toll free 1-866-489-4899 (Calls previously answered by the Neighborhood Health Care Network.)
- St. Paul District Dental Society 651-697-0831
- University of Minnesota Dental Clinic 612-625-2495
Lower Cost Prescription Drugs
- The Minnesota Board on Aging, Senior LinkAge Line helps callers locate lower cost prescription drugs 1-800-333-3433.
- Partnership for Prescription Assistance Program 1-888-477-2669
- Patient Assistance Programs you can link to yourself: Needymeds and Rxassist
- Medical Assistance
- Local county human services agencies phone numbers
- Minnesota Care 651-297-3862 or 1-800-657-3672, TTY 1-800-627-3529
Public Health Improvement Goals
- Healthy People 2030 National public health improvement goals to achieve by 2030. Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotions, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Administration on Aging, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Information and links to resources for older Americans and those who serve the aging.
- Benefits CheckUp Information on more than 1,000 state and federal programs for older Americans. Site sponsor is the National Council on the Aging.
- Medicare Issues Hotline 1-800-633-4227
- Processing of Medicare Part A claims, Noridian Administrative Services, 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)
- Processing of Medicare Part B claims, Wisconsin Physician Services, 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)
- For medical equipment and supplies problems/questions, Administar Inc., 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)
- Minnesota Board on Aging 651-431-2500 or 1-800-882-6262 Provides information and resources for seniors and caregivers.
- Social Security Administration 1-800-772-1213; Minneapolis office 612-870-2000
- Senior LinkAge Line 1-800-333-2433 Provides health insurance counseling and referral resources for seniors.
- Veterans Linkage Line 1-888-546-5838 (1-888-LINKVET), TTY: 1-800-627-3529. Provides veterans and family members with information or resources on veterans' benefits, claims, health care, counseling, and many other topics.
(Selected) Minnesota State Agencies
- Phone Directories for State of Minnesota (Enter name of agency)
- Minnesota Attorney Generals Office, Consumer Protection Division
Information 651-296-6196, Citizen Assistance 651-296-3353 or 1-800-657-3787
- Minnesota Department of Commerce
- Information 651-296-4026 or 1-800-657-3602
- Consumer Education and Protection Division, Consumer Response Team (enforcement for health insurance complaints) 651-296-2488
- Minnesota Department of Health (MDH)
- Minnesota Department of Human Services Information 651-431-2000 or 1-800-657-3756
- Minnesota Legislative Reference Library, Links to the World – Health
- ClearWay Minnesota, formerly Minnesota Partnership for Action Against Tobacco (MPAAT) Toll free hotline to quit smoking 1-888-354-7526.
Sign up at Quitplan
- HIPAA, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services HIPAA privacy rule for protection of personal health information. Reach our Region 5 office by mail at Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, 233 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 240, Chicago, IL 60601 or call 312 886-2359 and leave a message for a return call.
- Kaiser Family Foundation for information on health care topics they research
- Minnesota Alliance for Patient Safety (MAPS) for a form to list your medicines and tips for medicine safety
- Minnesota Board of Medical Practice 612-617-2130 or 1-800-657-3709
- Minnesota's Bookstore To order Publications of Office of the Revisor of Statutes
- Minnesota Community Measurement 612-455-2911 Web site shows how clinics/medical groups and hospitals perform in providing certain medical services to their patients. Also compares costs of some services. An annual report provides this data.
- Minnesota Council of Health Plans 651-645-0099
- MinnesotaHelp.info An online directory of community resources providing aid and assistance to all ages
- Minnesota Hospital Association, formerly Minnesota Hospital and HealthCare Partnership 651-641-1121 or 1-800-462-5393
- Minnesota Prevention Resource Center For information regarding alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use prevention.
- National Health Information Center 1-800-336-4797 A federal government health information referral service. Also see Healthfinder.gov for health information and publications.
- Office of the Ombudsman for Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities 651-757-1800 or 1-800-657-3506, TTY/Voice 711
- Office of Ombudsman for Long-Term Care 651-431-2555 or 1-800-657-3591, TDD/TTY: 711
- Ombudsman for State Managed Health Care Programs 651-431-2660 or 1-800-657-3729, TTY: Voice 711 Takes certain complaints from enrollees on public programs (access, services, benefits). They do not take complaints regarding eligibility for Medical Assistance and MinnesotaCare.
- QuitPlan provides free assistance to Minnesotans to quit smoking.
- United Health Foundation for annual state health rankings