Licensing and Certification
- Becoming Licensed/
- Health Care Facility and Provider Database
- Nursing Home Survey Results
- Resident and Provider Information
- Nursing Home Inspections
- Nursing Services Agencies SNSA
- Paid Feeding Assistants in Nursing Homes
Health Regulation - Facilities and Professions
- Facility Certification, Regulation and Licensing
- Facility Manager Resources
- Choosing a Facility
- Find a Provider
- Verify a Facility License or Professional Credential
- File a Complaint
- View Facility and Provider Complaint and Survey Findings
- Resident and Provider Resources
- About Health Regulation Division
Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility (PRTF) Medicaid Certification/Supervised Living Facility (SLF) Licensure
This page contains information and forms required to apply to operate as a certified psychiatric residential treatment facility and be licensed as a supervised living facility in Minnesota.
Required Forms and Documents
Please read and understand all applicable documents, statutes and rules listed below before applying for this license.
- License/Certification Application and Attestation (PDF)
- Transfer Agreement - 7 County Metro (PDF)
- Transfer Agreement - Non Metro Counties (PDF)
Related Statutes and Rules
- Minnesota Statutes 144.651
- Minnesota Statutes 144.652
- Minnesota Statutes 626.557
- Minnesota Statutes 626.558
- Minnesota Statutes 144.122 - License, Permit and Survey Fees
- Minnesota Statutes 144.50, subd. 6
- Minnesota Rules 4665
- Department of Labor and Industry: Quick Reference Guide to Care Facilities in Minnesota (PDF) (Supervised Living Facilities are shown on table 1.2 and would be Class B-1, B-2 or B-3)
- State Operations Manual Chapter 2, Federal Regulations (PDF)
Minnesota Department of Human Services Information on Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities
The Department of Human Services provides program licensure for psychiatric residential treatment facility programs in supervised living facilities. Additional information on those programs and requirements can be found at:
Department of Human Services: Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities (PRTF)
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Information on Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities
CMS: Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility Providers
CMS issues weekly Quality Safety & Oversight memos (formerly known as Survey and Certification (S&C) memos). It is the responsibility of providers to check weekly for new information listed at the CMS website: CMS: Policy & Memos to States and Regions. This website is subject to change by CMS.
CMS memos related to emergency preparedness (S&C 17-29) and PRTF regulations (S&C 17-28, 15-14, and 13-45 ):
- Advanced Copy-Appendix Z, Emergency Preparedness Final Rule Interpretive Guidelines and Survey Procedures (PDF)
- Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities (PRTF) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Guidance Related to New State Operating Manual and Appendix N for Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities (PRTF)
- Provision of Inpatient Psychiatric Services to Individuals Under the Age of 21(Psych Under 21 Benefit) in Out-of-State Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities (PRTFs)
CMS Memo: Quality and Certification Oversight Reports (QCOR) Website Launch (PDF)
Quality and Certification Oversight Reports (QCOR) website includes federal data, including deficiency data link for on-site inspections of providers and suppliers.
Emergency Preparedness Rule
Emergency preparedness resources and surveyor tool.
We will need to verify all documentation before issuing a license. We may also do an on-site inspection.
- MDH receives complete Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility/Supervised Living Facility application with fee.
- MDH receives construction plan submittal form and plan review fee. For more information: Construction Plan Submittal Process. (Initial applications: HFID portion of submittal form should be left blank.)
- MDH verifies Department of Human Services Program License as a Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility.
- MDH verifies the entity legally responsible for the operation of the facility is registered with the Minnesota Secretary of State.
- MDH verifies Inspection/Survey Clearance issued by Engineering Services.
- MDH verifies Inspection/Survey Clearance issued by State Fire Marshal.
- MDH verifies Inspection/Survey Clearance issued by MDH health surveyors.
Annual Renewal Process
- Renewal applications and attestation statements are due annually. MDH will send each PRTF a renewal letter and application prior to the annual expiration date.
Other Important Information
- MDH regulates and oversee PRTFs with surveys and complaint investigations.
- A PRTF is responsible for submitting notification and construction plans for remodeling projects (see construction plan submittal for more information).
- PRTFs must be in compliance with all applicable state and federal requirements.
If you are unsure this is the correct license for your business or have questions, please contact the Licensing and Certification Program at 651-201-4200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain additional clarification.