Licensing and Certification
- Becoming Licensed/
- Health Care Facility and Provider Database
- Nursing Home Survey Results
- Resident and Provider Information
- Nursing Home Inspections
- Nursing Services Agencies SNSA
- Paid Feeding Assistants in Nursing Homes
Health Regulation - Facilities and Professions
- Facility Certification, Regulation and Licensing
- Facility Manager Resources
- Choosing a Facility
- Find a Provider
- Verify a Facility License or Professional Credential
- File a Complaint
- View Facility and Provider Complaint and Survey Findings
- Resident and Provider Resources
- About Health Regulation Division
Freestanding Outpatient Surgical Center Licensing
As of August 1, 2022, providers holding a valid license from a health-related licensing board (HLB) who has also undergone a background check under Minn. Statutes 214.075, shall not have a background study completed by the commissioner of human services (a NETStudy 2.0 background study).
MDH has created a document to address questions from providers and organizations about these changes, which you can find here: Background Studies for HLB-Licensed Providers FAQ (PDF)
This page contains information and forms required to make application to operate as a licensed Freestanding Outpatient Surgical Center in Minnesota.
See Federal Certification Process for Ambulatory Surgical Centers for additional information and forms required for participation as a Medicare-certified Ambulatory Surgical Center.
Please do not use these forms to renew a current license. Currently licensed providers will receive separate notification and instructions for licensure renewal from the Department of Health.
Notification of updates and changes
To receive notification of changes to this site:
Subscribe to the Information Bulletin Index
Required forms and documents
Please read and understand all applicable documents, statutes and rules listed below before applying for this license.
- License Application (PDF)
- Contact the Minnesota Secretary of State and file a Certificate of Assumed Name
- When MDH has received the license application, MDH will assign a Health Facility Identification (HFID) number to the facility. Before any inspections can be done, the MDH engineer will review and approve construction plans.
- See Engineering Services for plan review submittal process.
- We will send a request for survey to MDH engineers, the state fire marshal (FMS) and MDH health supervisor who will coordinate the licensing survey.
- Once we have received the clearances from the engineer, SFM and health supervisor, we will issue the license. The effective date of the license will be the date of the last clearance.
- After the license is effective, the surgical center may begin to schedule procedures.
Related statutes and rules
- Minnesota Statutes 144.55
- Minnesota Statutes 144.122 - License, Permit and Survey Fees
- Minnesota Rules 4675
- MinnesotaCare Tax
Bill of rights
See the Information Bulletin website for bulletins coded "ASC, OSC" and "All Providers." Scroll down to "Information Bulletins by Year," and then click on the list for each year to find the appropriate bulletins. To receive notification of new Information Bulletins posted, "Subscribe" to the Information Bulletin Index and you will receive notification by email when there is a new Information Bulletin posted.
[Return to Licensing & Certification Main Page]