MIIC and Child Cares
The Minnesota Immunization Information Connection (MIIC) can make it easy for child cares to ensure the children in their care are up to date on immunizations and compliant with child care immunization laws.
What is MIIC?
MIIC is Minnesota’s electronic immunization information system. It combines immunizations a person has received into a single record, even if they were given by different health care providers in the state. MIIC data are available to Minnesota health care providers, public health agencies, child cares, and schools that work together to prevent vaccine-preventable diseases.
- DHS Rule 3 licensed child care centers can have direct access to MIIC. Learn more below.
- DHS Rule 2 licensed child cares can access MIIC immunization records by calling the MIIC Record Request Line at 651-201-3980.
How can MIIC benefit child care centers?
Minnesota’s School and Child Care Immunization Law requires all children enrolling in licensed child care to show evidence that they have received certain immunizations or properly document exemptions. Child care centers are responsible for assuring that their enrollees are complying with the immunization law and the requirements in the child care licensing standards. This is where MIIC can help!
Child care centers can use MIIC to:
- Look up and print immunization records of individual children in their care.
- Keep a list of children in their care and quickly review or print all their immunization records.
- Receive assistance with the annual Child Care Immunization Report required each fall by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH).
- Help ensure that immunization records are accurate by contacting the MIIC Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org if a child’s record in MIIC is inconsistent with the center’s record provided by the child’s parent/guardian.
Visit MIIC and Child Care Resources for assistance.
How can my child care center participate in MIIC?
The first step is to visit Participating in MIIC and complete a Data Use Agreement. The Agreement describes how MIIC can be used and requires signatures to confirm that your center will maintain your enrollees’ privacy. Then, submit your Agreement to the MIIC Help Desk at email@example.com. The MIIC Help Desk will follow up with you to get your center set up in MIIC.
What about privacy?
MIIC makes privacy protection a priority. MIIC is password protected and confidential, and only authorized users can access it. Additionally, parents can choose to opt out of MIIC if they wish. For more information, visit Data Privacy.