MIIC and Schools
The Minnesota Immunization Information Connection (MIIC) can make it easy for schools to ensure their students are up to date on their immunizations and compliant with school immunization laws.
What is MIIC?
MIIC is Minnesota's electronic immunization information system. It combines immunizations a person has received into a single record, even if they were given by different health care providers in the state. According to Minnesota law, MIIC data are available to Minnesota health care providers, public health agencies, child care centers, and schools that work together to prevent vaccine-preventable diseases.
How can MIIC benefit schools?
Minnesota's School and Child Care Immunization Law requires all students enrolling in school to show evidence that they have received certain immunizations or properly document exemptions. Schools are responsible for assuring that their students comply with the Immunization Law. This is where MIIC can help!Schools can use MIIC to:
- Look up and print immunization records of individual students.
- Keep a list of students and quickly review or print all their immunization records.
- Help ensure students’ immunizations are complete and up-to-date.
- Quickly identify students missing immunizations, in case of a disease outbreak at school or in the community.
- Use the Annual Immunization Status Report (AISR) bulk query process to pull immunization information from MIIC.
- Find user guides at School Health Personnel Immunization and Disease Reporting under “Immunization data and tools.”
Visit MIIC User Guidance and Training Resources to view a webinar series for more information on how to use MIIC functions and features.
Can schools enter immunizations into MIIC?
In addition to using MIIC to view students' immunization records, some schools enter immunization data into MIIC. These schools get written permission from parents/guardians to add their children's information to MIIC, in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
How can my school participate in MIIC?
The first step is to visit Participating in MIIC and complete a Data Use Agreement. The Agreement describes how MIIC can be used and requires signatures to confirm that your school will maintain your students’ privacy. Then, submit your Agreement to the MIIC Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. The MIIC Help Desk will follow up with you to get your school set up in MIIC.
What about privacy?
MIIC makes privacy protection a priority. MIIC is password protected and confidential, and only authorized users can access it. Additionally, parents can choose to opt out of MIIC if they wish. For more information, visit Data Privacy.