Birth Record Amendments - Minnesota Dept. of Health

Birth Record Amendments

The Office of Vital Records amends Minnesota birth records.

If you need to change a birth certificate after you buy one, you must request an amendment. And you must request an amendment if you need to change the certificate after the child’s first birthday. To request an amendment, fill in the application, pay the fee, and supply documents to support the changes.

How long does it take to get a birth record amended?

As of April 20, 2021, the Office of Vital Records has completed and mailed amendment requests received on March 12, 2021.

Please note:
The Office of Vital Records deposits fees the same day it receives them; this is before we complete the amendment request.

What does it mean to amend a birth record?

Amending means correcting or completing information that prints on a birth certificate. If there is incorrect or missing information on your birth record or your child’s birth record, you may request an amendment.

The ‘subject’ of the birth record is the person whose birth was registered.

Items that print on a birth certificate include:

  • First, middle, last name and suffix of the subject (the person whose birth was registered)
  • Subject's date of birth
  • Subject’s time of birth
  • Plurality (single, twin, triplet, etc.)
  • Sex of subject
  • Subject's place of birth (name of hospital or facility, city, county, state)
  • Full names of up to two parents
  • Parent’s names at birth (names before first marriage)
  • Parent’s dates of birth
  • Parent’s places of birth

Add or change a parent

If you want to add or change a parent on a birth record, see Birth Records and Paternity.

Name changes

If you want to change your name on your birth record, or on your child's birth record after a legal (court-ordered) name change, see Court-ordered name change.

Replace a birth record after adoption

Amending a birth record is not the same as replacing a birth record after adoption. According to Minnesota law, “Changes related to adoptions, establishment or revocation of paternity, subsequent marriage of the biological parents, or other court ordered replacements are made by creating a replacement record.”

Who can request an amendment to a birth record?

  • The subject of the record. A subject must be 18 or older to request an amendment. If you (the subject) have a court order and are 18 or older, you  must be the requester, not your parent.
  • A parent. Your name must be on the subject’s current birth record.
  • A legal guardian or legal representative of the subject. You must include a certified copy of a U.S. court order with the application. The court order must name you as the legal guardian or list you as the legal representative.

NOTE: Only a parent of the subject may request an amendment to the deceased subject’s birth record.

How do I request an amendment to a birth record?

  1. Read the Birth Record Amendment Packet (PDF). It contains instructions for filling out the application form, the application form with associated fees, and information about the documents you must send to the Office of Vital Records for review (also available at Documents to Amend a Birth Record).
  2. Gather the documents that support the changes you want to request. One of two specific documents is required for changing gender on a birth record. See Requirements to amend gender.
  3. Fill out the Birth Record Amendment Application form; do not sign the form.
  4. Take the application form to a notary public; sign it in front of the notary public.
  5. Send the Birth Record Amendment Application, supporting documents and fees to the address on the application. The Office of Vital Records does not have walk-in service; county vital records offices cannot amend birth records.
  6. The Office of Vital Records returns applications that are incomplete, not signed in front of a notary public, or not paid in full at the time of application.

NOTE: The Office of Vital Records will not amend birth records without payment or supporting documentation.

Does the birth certificate look different after an amendment?

If any part of a subject’s name or date of birth changes, the certificate will show a sentence. This is an example of that sentence: “Registrant's middle name amended by clinic record, baptism certificate 03/07/2019.”

If items other than the subject’s name or date of birth change a different sentence will print on the certificate. That sentence reads: “Data items other than the registrant’s name or date of birth was amended 03/07/2019.”


How are we doing?

Updated Wednesday, 21-Apr-2021 07:14:16 CDT