Drinking Water Operator Certification
- Drinking Water Operator Certification Home
- Info for Trainers
- Info for Water Operators
- Exam Information
- Exam Study Materials
- Contract Operating Info
- Laws & Rules
Environmental Health Division
Last Updated: 10/03/2022
Water Operator Certification and Training
A mandatory certification program for water supply system operators was established by Minnesota Statutes in 1971, and is administered by the Minnesota Department of Health, Drinking Water Protection Section.
In order to be certified the operator must demonstrate the skill, knowledge, experience, and education necessary to operate a system successfully.
There are currently over 3,000 certified water operators in Minnesota who work to protect public health by providing safe, reliable drinking water.
Frequently Asked Questions
- The most-asked questions - from who needs to be certified to regulations that cover certification - can be found here.
Information for Trainers
- Individuals and organizations looking to provide training can learn about the criteria for approval of courses and find an application to get training approved.
- Dates and resources for training and certification of water operators.
Renewal Requirements for Water Operator Certificates
- Standards vary depending on the type of license, and this page covers the different requirements. It also has a list of pre-approved courses.
Relevancy of Training for Certified Water Operators
- The relevancy of training to operator duties, and this page outlines the issues and requirements.
- Those looking to take an exam can find links to a training schedule and exam application as well as how to get a study guide.
Exam Study Materials
- A list of resources and materials for those taking certification exams.
Contract Operating Information
- Requirements and a form to be designated as a system's contract operator.
- The Water Supply Systems and Wastewater Treatment Facilities Advisory Council members as well as meeting dates and locations. Minutes and agendas are also available upon request.
Laws and Rules
- Rules and regulations from the state of Minnesota and the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency as well as a link to the federal Safe Drinking Water Act.
Drinking Water Operator Certified Contacts
- Names and contact information for those involved in operator certification and training.