- Sanitarian Home
- Apply for Registration
- Approved Science Course List
- Exam Study Sessions and Reference Material
- Laws and Rules
- Look-Up Registered Sanitarians
- Pre-Approved Continuing Education Courses
- REHS/RS Advisory Council
- Renew Your Registration
- Contact us
Environmental Health Division
Rule Amendments to Environmental Health Specialist/Sanitarian Rule
Minnesota Rules, 4695.2500 – 3200
Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) is amending Minnesota Rules, 4695.2500 – 3200. Revisor’s ID Number R-4175.
The purpose of parts 4695.2500 to 4695.3200 is to establish the administrative structure, the procedures, and the requirements for the registration of those persons who are qualified to present themselves as environmental health specialists/sanitarians.
We are considering rule amendments that will:
- clarify and simplify the registration and renewal processes,
- strengthen the complaint handling, and;
- other issues that may arise if time permits.
REHS/RS Title and Credential Usage Survey Results
This profession uses both Registered Environmental Health Specialist and Registered Sanitarian (REHS/RS) credential title options. The Advisory Council had received several comments about “Why does this profession have two credential titles?”
The Advisory Council had requested public opinion regarding the use of both credential title options using a survey before considering any revisions to this part of the rule. The survey was available on the MDH website from October 19, 2020 through November 2, 2020.
The survey results can be found at REHS/RS Title and Credential Usage Survey Results (PDF).
After review of the survey results, the Advisory Council recommended to not make any revisions to the REHS/RS credential title at this time.
Your comments wanted
Persons seeking Registered Environmental Health Specialist/Sanitarian (REHS/S) registration, Registered Environmental Health Specialists/Registered Sanitarians (REHS/RS), local governments, and businesses that employ REHS/RS may be affected by any amendments.
For a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) regarding the REHS/RS rule amendments, please see the list and the department’s responses below.
How to comment
Interested persons or groups may submit comments or information on the current rule or possible rule amendments to us until further notice is published in the State Register that the departments intend to adopt or to withdraw the rules.
Please submit your questions or comments using this online form:
Possible Amendments to Rules Governing Registered Environmental Health Specialists/Registered Sanitarians (REHS/RS)
Request for Comments (PDF) (February 1, 2021)
The Possible Rule Amendments Language document dated February 11, 2022 is being revised. The new revisions will be posted shortly.
- The purpose of parts 4695.2500 to 4695.3200 is to establish the administrative structure, the procedures, and the requirements for the registration of those persons who are qualified to present themselves as environmental health specialists/sanitarians
- Summary of the main parts of the process, important documents, and timeline for developing and adopting rules
- The Registered Environmental Health Specialist/Registered Sanitarian (REHS/RS) Advisory Council was established to advise the Commissioner regarding environmental health specialist/sanitarian registration standards
Contact Us for questions or comments regarding the rule amendments.
Subscribe to Environmental Health Specialist/Sanitarian rule updates
Get Email Updates when information on the Environmental Health Specialist/Sanitarian Rule is added or updated to this website.