2023 SCHSAC Retreat
September 28-29, 2023
This retreat aims to deepen the connections between SCHSAC members and local/state public health leaders, build on our collective knowledge and experience, and inspire us to continue strengthening and transforming the public health system for all Minnesotans for the 21st century.
To accomplish this goal we will:
- Connect: Create a deeper connection between individuals, community health boards, and regions
- Educate: Increase knowledge about public health, system transformation, and the role of SCHSAC
- Inspire: Create excitement about public health and system transformation
- Strengthen skills: Develop and practice skills to support public health system transformation
- Create: Identify key opportunities and next steps to advocate for transformation
Registration for this event has closed. Please contact email@example.com if you have questions.
Please note: Accepting the calendar invitation that SCHSAC staff sent DOES NOT count as registering.
Because this is an in-person only event, SCHSAC required pre-registration. This allows us to ensure that there is adequate space and sufficient meals.
The SCHSAC retreat is in-person only and will be held at the Willmar Conference Center, located at 240 23rd Street SE in Willmar, MN. Space is limited. There will not be an option to join virtually.
Tentative schedule for Thursday, September 28 and Friday, September 29:
- Thursday 11:00 a.m.: Plan to arrive in Willmar by this time to start the retreat with regional lunches (at own expense).
- Thursday 12:00 p.m.: Registration will open at noon.
- Thursday 1:00 p.m.: The formal agenda begins.
- Friday 3:00 p.m.: The retreat ends.
SCHSAC leadership and staff are still developing a more detailed agenda
This is an in-person event with limited space available. SCHSAC members, SCHSAC alternates, CHS administrators, local public health directors, and MDH executive and division leadership are invited to attend. Others may attend on a space-available basis.
Please consider carpooling with members, alternates, administrators, and directors in your area.
You are responsible for your own lodging. There are two hotels connected to the Willmar Conference Center where the Retreat is being held – the Best Western Plus and the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. We had a block of rooms at both, but the block has expired. These are the most conveniently located hotels for the Retreat.
The hotels have informed us that they do not typically honor the $98 Government Room Rate but they may offer you a discount of some kind if you ask and mention you are with SCHSAC and they have rooms available.
Both hotels offer a complimentary breakfast.
To make your reservation for September 28th, you can call either hotel directly or visit their website.
Best Western Plus
2100 Highway 12 E
Willmar, MN 56201
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
250 23rd St. SE
Willmar, MN 56201
The conference center may adjust these menus based on availability. If you require additional accommodation not noted in your registration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by September 19. We will do our best to ensure requests are accommodated.
Thursday, September 28:
- Lunch: The retreat will begin at 11:00 a.m. with regional lunches at assigned restaurants in Willmar. These lunches will be at your own expense.
- Dinner: Your registration for the retreat includes a group dinner held on the evening of September 28 at the Willmar Conference Center.
Menu: Maple Dijon Chicken (bone in roasted chicken breast glazed with a savory maple Dijon sauce), Chef’s Choice of Roasted Vegetables and Baby Red Mashed Potatoes (all gluten free). Vegetarian option is Grilled vegetables and quinoa with brown rice (grilled zucchini, carrots, asparagus, red peppers, pea pods, tossed with quinoa and brown rice, seasoned with a sesame glaze).
Friday, September 29:
- Breakfast: Breakfast is on your own. Both retreat hotels offer breakfast to guests staying there.
- Lunch: Lunch will be provided.
Menu: A turkey or ham deli sandwich, served with kettle chips and a fresh baked cookie. Gluten free bread and dessert will be provided for those who request it. Vegetarian option will be a Portobello mushroom sandwich.
- Beverages: Coffee, tea and water will be provided during the meetings and breaks. (We recommend bringing a reusable bottle and/or mug.)
The retreat serves as the third SCHSAC meeting of the year. As such, SCHSAC members are entitled to request reimbursement for expenses related to attending the retreat: mileage, some meals, lodging. Alternates who are attending in place of the SCHSAC member may also apply for reimbursement, but only if they are attending in place of the member.
Staff will send an updated reimbursement form will be sent out in advance of the retreat.
For more information, review this handout containing general information about reimbursement policies and procedures: Expense reimbursements for SCHSAC members and alternates (PDF).