- Asthma Home
- About Asthma
- Managing Asthma
- For Schools
- For Health Care Professionals
- For Homes
- For Communities
- For Workplaces
- Who We Are
- COVID-19 and Asthma
- Strategic Framework 2021-2030
- RETA - Reducing Triggers in the Home Training
- Programs Offering Asthma Home-Based Services
- Asthma Training for Youth Coaches
Athletes and Asthma: The Community Coach's Role
About this course
As your team begins their pre-game warm up jog, you notice James is lagging behind the rest of his teammates. He looks like he may be having trouble breathing; he keeps touching his hand to his chest and pausing during the jog. What do you do? Not sure? Want to know more about asthma, how it affects kids playing sports and other activities, and how you can help your players control their asthma?
View the Athletes and Asthma: The Community Coach's Role course. The course is free, takes only 35-minutes and gives you the tools to know What to Do During An Asthma Attack.
Coaches who take the training course will learn:
- Basic anatomy-physiology of asthma
- Myths vs. facts about asthma
- Symptoms of asthma or an asthma attack
- The coach’s role in helping players control their asthma
- Rescue vs. control asthma medications (inhalers)
- How to prevent or treat asthma symptoms
- How to identify triggers of asthma
- What to do during an asthma attack
- Suggestions for working with parents and players
- A 10-question quiz to see what you learned and a certificate of completion you can print.
The course designed specifically for community coaches and developed with expertise by the MDH Asthma Program, provides information and resources for the community coach by incorporating animation, video and interactive scenarios. Based on its predecessor, The Coach's Asthma Clipboard Program, coaches learn how to help players of all ages (K-12) who have asthma, play to their full potential through scenarios that mimic the real-life decisions you might face during practices and competitive events.
Resources for community coaches
- Asthma Action Plans (MDH Asthma)
- Asthma Medications (MDH Asthma)
- Asthma Trigger Information Sheet (MDH Asthma)
- E-cigarettes and Vapes (MDH Tobacco Prevention and Control)
- Exercise-Induced Bronchoconstriction (EIB) (ACAAI)
- Exercise-Induced Asthma (Mayo Clinic)
- Sign up to get Air Quality Alerts and daily forecasts via email (MPCA)
Sign up to receive asthma email updates from the MDH Asthma Program.