Minnesota Stroke System Education
Continuing education is important for medical professionals to maintain knowledge of current guidelines, treatments, and technological advancements in stroke care. Education is required of hospitals at all levels of designation within the Minnesota Stroke System.
The Minnesota Department of Health Stroke Program has partnered with medical professionals and organizations across the state to provide stroke-specific learning opportunities that fulfill designation requirements for nurses, physicians, therapists, EMS, and other stroke response team members.
Acute Stroke Ready Hospitals are required to track stroke education and ensure that all members of the Acute Stroke Ready Team (at minimum all nurses and providers, including locums, that respond to stroke codes) receive stroke education two hours or two times per year.
Ongoing Continuing Education (Contact Hours)
The MDH Stroke Program offers stroke education courses at no charge. To access, create an account in the MDH Learning Center by clicking on "Sign up Now." Once registered, log in and search for "stroke" or click on the Catalog to enroll in courses.
- So Easy to Miss. Joan Somes, PhD, RN-BC, CEN, CPEN, FAEN, NRP.
- From Deficits to Disability. Dr. Benjamin Usatch.
- Best Practice Guidelines for Stroke: Pre-hospital and emergency management. Donna Lindsay, MN, RN, CSN-BC, SCRN Neuroscience Clinical Nurse Specialist/Stroke Program Coordinator, Hennepin Healthcare.
The MDH Stroke Program kicked off a new Monthly Education Series this year. Monthly education may include a live or recorded webinar – or promote educational opportunities in collaboration with our partners. Stay tuned to your email for the opportunity of the month! Each education opportunity will include contact hours upon completing the corresponding evaluation. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to be added to our notification list.
Workshops and Conferences
- Coming Soon
Minnesota Stroke Program Resources
- Sample Stroke Education Plan (PDF)
- MDH Stroke Program monthly webinars (YouTube)
- Free Stroke Education flyer (PDF)
- Comprehensive MDH Stroke Program Resources
- American Heart Association Clinical Tools & Resources
- American Association of Neuroscience Nurses
- Genentech Activase/Alteplase Portal
- Minnesota Stroke Association