Minnesota Stroke System Education
Continuing education is important for medical professionals to maintain knowledge of current guidelines, treatments, and technological advancements in stroke care. Education is required of hospitals at all levels of designation within the Minnesota Stroke System.
The Minnesota Department of Health Stroke Program has partnered with medical professionals and organizations across the state to provide stroke-specific learning opportunities that fulfill designation requirements for nurses, physicians, therapists, EMS, and other stroke response team members.
Acute Stroke Ready Hospitals are required to track stroke education and ensure that all members of the Acute Stroke Ready Team (at minimum all nurses and providers, including locums, that respond to stroke codes) receive stroke education two hours or two times per year.
Ongoing Continuing Education (Contact Hours)
The MDH Stroke Program offers stroke education courses at no charge. To access, create an account in the MDH Learning Center by clicking on "Register Now." Once registered, log in and search for "stroke" to enroll in courses. When using the MDH Learning Center, Internet Explorer is not recommended.
- So Easy to Miss. Joan Somes, PhD, RN-BC, CEN, CPEN, FAEN, NRP. AVAILABLE NOW.
- From Deficits to Disability. Dr. Benjamin Usatch. AVAILABLE NOW.
- Best Practice Guidelines for Stroke: Pre-hospital and emergency management. Donna Lindsay, MN, RN, CSN-BC, SCRN Neuroscience Clinical Nurse Specialist/Stroke Program Coordinator, Hennepin Healthcare. COMING SOON.
Ongoing webinars exploring the Minnesota Stroke Program occur on the third Wednesday of each month. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to be added to the notification list.
Workshops and Conferences
- American Heart Association International Stroke Conference 2020: February 18-21, 2020.
Minnesota Stroke Program Resources
- Sample Stroke Education Plan (PDF)
- MDH Stroke Program monthly webinars (YouTube)
- Free Stroke Education flyer (PDF)
- Comprehensive MDH Stroke Program Resources