Long-term Care: COVID-19
Guidance and resources for long-term care (LTC) facilities.
- Expand testing for residents and workers in long-term care facilities.
- Provide testing support and troubleshooting to clear barriers faster.
- Get personal protective equipment to facilities when needed.
- Ensure adequate staffing levels for even the hardest-hit facilities.
- Leverage our partnerships to better apply their skills and talents.
Long-term Care COVID-19 Response: November 2020 Update (PDF)
- Template COVID-19 Response Summary for Long-term Care Facilities (Word)
Use this template document to communicate with resident families about COVID-19 cases that have impacted residents and staff in your facility and the actions that your team has taken to prepare for and respond to COVID-19.
- Long-term Care Testing: COVID-19
All guidance and materials related to LTC testing activities.
- COVID-19 Toolkit: Information for Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Employee Illness Tracking Tool (Excel) | Instructions (PDF)
- Principles for COVID-19 Cohorting in Long-term Care (PDF)
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) and Fan Considerations for Long-term Care during COVID-19 (PDF)
- COVID-19 Universal Eye Protection Risk Assessment for Long-term Care and Assisted Living-type Settings (PDF)
NOTE: MDH recommends facilities pause implementation of the Eye Protection Risk Assessment until further notice due to concerns regarding the Delta variant.
Visit Infection Prevention and Control: COVID-19 for guidance on responding to and monitoring exposures, PPE grids, and more.
If a resident passes away in your facility, MDH recommends testing for COVID-19 if there are any confirmed cases in your facility or if the cause of death is not clearly due to causes besides COVID-19. A nasal pharyngeal swab needs to be collected from the deceased individual for testing prior to sending the body to the funeral home or medical examiner's office. The specimen can be sent to MDH for COVID-19 testing free of charge. Please see Evaluating and Testing for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for appropriate forms and submission guidance and call MDH (1-877-676-5414) to report the death and suspicion of COVID-19.
- Information about COVID-19 Vaccination in Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Vaccine Provider Models for Continuing COVID-19 Vaccination Efforts in Minnesota Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Long-term Care COVID-19 Vaccine Resources (PDF)
- How to Complete the Long-term Care COVID-19 Vaccination Reporting Form (PDF)
- COVID-19 Vaccination Tracking Tool for Long-term Care (Excel) | Instructions (PDF)
Visitors and outside services
- Long-term Care Guidance for Outings
- COVID-19 Guidance: Long-term Care Indoor Visitation for Nursing Facilities and Assisted Living-type Settings (PDF)
- Long-term Care Visitation Guidance Flowchart for Outbreak Status (PDF)
- Long-term Care Visitation Guidance Flowchart for Exceptions (PDF)
- Essential Caregiver Guidance for Long-term Care Facilities
- Outdoor Visitation Guidance for Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Beauty Shop Guidance for Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Guidance for Congregate Living Settings: Placing Resident-requested Electronic Monitoring Devices (PDF)
Previously called Guidance for Congregate Living Settings to Assist Residents Requesting Camera Placement.
- Helping Long-Term Care Facilities Prevent and Address COVID-19 (PDF)
Actions by MDH and the State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC) to address emergent issues with LTC facilities.
- Interim Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations to Prevent SARS-CoV-2 Spread in Nursing Homes
CDC guidance that summarizes the core infection prevention and control practices for nursing homes.
- Long-Term Care Facility Toolkit: Preparing for COVID-19 Vaccination at Your Facility
CDC toolkit that provides long-term care facility (LTCF) administrators and clinical leadership with information and resources to help build vaccine confidence among health care personnel and residents.