Long-term Care: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Guidance and resources for long-term care (LTC) facilities.
- Interim Enhanced Respiratory Outbreak Surveillance for Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
MDH is implementing enhanced respiratory surveillance in LTC facilities to rapidly identify any potential outbreaks of COVID-19.
- If you suspect COVID-19 in an individual resident, follow guidance found at Evaluating and Testing for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- This guidance does not replace surveillance of influenza or RSV outbreaks in LTC. For more information, see Long-term Care: Influenza.
- Regional Health Care Preparedness Coordinators (RHPCs)
Communicate any personal protective equipment (PPE) shortages or supply chain issues to Regional Health Care Preparedness Coordinators (RHPC).
Infection Prevention Guidance
- Risk Assessment and Public Health Management of Health Care Personnel with Potential Exposure to Residents with COVID-19 in Long-term Care, Nursing Home, and Assisted Living Settings (PDF)
- CDC: Interim U.S. Guidance for Risk Assessment and Public Health Management of Healthcare Personnel with Potential Exposure in a Healthcare Setting to Patients with Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
- CDC: Preparing for COVID-19: Long-term Care Facilties, Nursing Homes
The general strategies CDC recommends to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in LTC facilities are the same strategies these facilities use every day to detect and prevent the spread of other respiratory viruses like influenza.
- Interim Guidance on Facemasks as a Source Control Measure (PDF)
Source control is a term used to describe measures intended to prevent infected individuals from spreading disease.
- Interim Guidance on Alternative Facemasks (PDF)
There are many versions of non-FDA regulated facemasks, and facilities should evaluate each product before use.
- CMS: Policy & Memos to States and Regions
- CMS: Administrative Information Memos to States and Regions
CMS Quality Safety & Oversight memoranda, guidance, clarifications, and information. Sort by most recent posting date.
- Behavioral Health and COVID-19
Mental health and behavioral health resources specific to COVID-19.
- CDC: Implementation of Mitigation Strategies for Communities with Local COVID-19 Transmission (PDF)
Guidance for moving from preparedness to community mitigation strategies.
Thank you for your continued partnership. For health care questions, please contact the MDH provider hotline at 651-201-5414.