Schools and Child Care: COVID-19
It is important that everyone in the school community take steps to reduce COVID-19 transmission, particularly to those at high risk, while balancing the need to maintain a strong education system that effectively supports staff, students, and communities.
More information is available:
- Minnesota Department of Education: COVID-19 Updates
- State of Minnesota: COVID19 Response Child Care Information for Families and Providers
Videos, print materials (includes school-specific posters), and translated documents to assist with responding to COVID-19.
Child care and K-12 programming
- 2020-2021 Planning Guide for Schools: Health Considerations for Navigating COVID-19 (PDF)
This document provides parameters for schools to use in their planning for possible reopening in fall 2020-2021. Additional guidance will be determined as the COVID-19 response evolves through the summer months and into the fall.
- Data for K-12 Schools: 14-day COVID-19 Case Rate by County (PDF)
This document provides data that can be used by schools in making decisions about their safe learning model.
Updated: 10/22/20, updated every Thursday.
- Guidance for Delivering Direct Student Support Services: Staff Protective Equipment (PDF)
This document provides direction to school staff on the type of protective equipment that will be needed to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission when delivering direct student support services.
- Guidance for Providing Nebulization Treatments in Schools (PDF)
This document provides guidance on the use of nebulizers and peak-flow meters in schools and other educational venues.
- COVID-19 Prevention Guidance for Youth and Student Programs (PDF)
This guidance outlines prevention strategies to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in youth and student programs.
- COVID-19 Prevention Guidance for Overnight Youth Camps (PDF)
Supplemental guidance for overnight camp operations.
- Playground Guidance for Schools and Child Care Programs (PDF)
Safety and well-being
- What To Do When Notified of a Lab-Confirmed Case of COVID-19 in Child Care Settings or Youth Programs (PDF)
Resources and instructions to protect staff and children in your child care or youth programs if notified of a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- Handling a Suspected or Confirmed Positive Case of COVID-19: Information for Schools (PDF)
- COVID-19 Decision Tree for People in Schools, Youth, and Child Care Programs (PDF)
MDH exclusion guidance for schools, youth, and child care programs.
- COVID-19 Attendance Guide for Parents and Families (PDF)
Guide for parents and families to understand when children can attend school, youth programs, and child care during COVID-19.
- Home Screening Tool for COVID-19 Symptoms (PDF)
Home screening tool for parents and guardians related to COVID-19.
- Masking in Schools (PDF)
Information schools can provide to parents about masks in school.
- Masking Requirements for Child Care
Recommendations for those caring for children of essential workers (child care providers, family child care providers, and school-age care).
- Ventilation Guidance for Schools: COVID-19
- COVID-19 Saliva Testing for Public and Private Teachers and School Staff: Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Food Service Worker Safety Information (PDF)
Guidance for school food programs.
- Supporting Mental Well-being during COVID-19
Cleaning and disinfecting
- COVID-19 Cleaning and Disinfecting Guidance for Schools and Child Care Programs
- Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 for Facilities Service and Cleaning Staff
- Supplies for Schools: COVID-19
Cleaning supplies for students and staff, including the health services and custodial teams.
CDC guidance and resources
- K-12 Schools and Child Care Programs
FAQs for administrators, teachers, and parents.
- Guidance for Child Care Programs that Remain Open
- Childcare, Schools, and Youth Programs
Guidance documents to plan, prepare, and respond.
Additional resources and print materials
- Guidance Library: COVID-19
- Cleaning & Disinfecting for COVID-19 (PDF)
- Hand Hygiene
Video, posters, teaching materials, and more related to handwashing.
- Hand Hygiene for Schools and Child Care
Hand hygiene information, research, and guidelines for schools and child care.
- Hand Hygiene for Schools and Child Care
- Infectious Diseases in Childcare Settings and Schools Manual
Hennepin County infectious disease manual.
- Institutes of Higher Education (IHE)
Planning guidance for mitigating COVID-19 spread on campus and other interpretive guidance.