Institutes of Higher Education (IHE): COVID-19
As Minnesota continues to see transmission of COVID-19 and the need to minimize its spread, a balance must be struck in how educational opportunities are offered. Thus, when planning for the return of on-campus instruction at colleges and universities, everyone needs to take steps to reduce transmission opportunities and minimize risk to people at high risk, while also supporting the importance of having a strong higher education sector that supports students and communities.
MDH recommends wearing cloth face coverings in campus settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., small computer labs and confined library spaces).
Key messages about cloth masks
- Cloth face coverings do not include surgical masks or N95 respirators. These types of medical-grade masks should be prioritized for health care and other critical settings.
- Create and wear cloth masks by following CDC guidance.
- Wash hands thoroughly before putting on the mask.
- Remove the mask carefully and wash your hands thoroughly after removing.
- Wash the mask after each use.
- Wearing a mask does not mean people who are sick should be in public places. Stay home if you are sick.
- Wearing cloth masks does not replace the need to continue frequent hand washing, avoiding touching the face, and practicing social distancing, which are our best tools to help prevent the spread of illness.
Planning for fall
- Recommendations for Mitigating COVID-19 at Higher Education Institutions (PDF)
This guidance document features several topics to aid in planning for fall 2020.
Safety and well-being
- Food Service Worker Safety Information (PDF)
Guidance for school food programs.
Cleaning and disinfecting
- COVID-19 Cleaning and Disinfecting Guidance for Institutes of Higher Education
- Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 for Facilities Service and Cleaning Staff
- Minnesota Office of Higher Education: Coronavirus Updates
- CDC: Considerations for Institutes of Higher Education
- CDC: COVID-19 Guidance for Shared or Congregate Housing
- American College Health Association: COVID-19 Resources
- Minnesota Employment and Economic Development: Guidance on Safely Reopening Minnesota Businesses
See industry tips to help with unique social distancing needs on campus.