Institutes of Higher Education (IHE): COVID-19
Minnesota needs a strong higher education sector that supports students and communities in returning to on-campus instruction at colleges and universities. This must be balanced with a need for everyone to take steps to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and to minimize infecting people at high risk of getting very sick.
To be on campus safely, students should consider:
Staying at home for 14 days before coming to campus. Before coming back to campus, plan to stay at home and interact only with the people you live with for at least 14 days. If you have been exposed to COVID-19 and don't know it, this will help ensure you don't spread it when you return to campus.
Taking safety precautions when gathering. Limit gatherings to small groups, and gather outdoors whenever possible. Stay 6 feet away from anyone you do not live with, and wear a mask, especially if social distancing is difficult.
Avoiding high-risk situations. Avoid crowded bars, events, parties, or other situations that would put you at risk of contracting COVID-19.
Following school guidelines on masking and social distancing. Learn school-specific rules related to wearing your mask and social distancing. Minnesota colleges and universities are following and tailoring state guidance to the college setting to support social distancing and masking, which helps slow the spread of COVID-19.
Planning for fall
- Guidance for Mitigating COVID-19 at Higher Education Institutions (PDF)
This guidance document features several topics to aid in planning for fall 2020.
- Recommendations for Different Levels of COVID-19 Transmission Among Higher Education Institutions (PDF)
- COVID-19 and Higher Education: Frequently Asked Questions
Safety and well-being
- Campus Dining Services Guidance for Higher Education Institutions (PDF)
- Food Service Worker Safety Information (PDF)
Guidance for school food programs.
Cleaning and disinfecting
- COVID-19 Cleaning and Disinfecting Guidance for Institutes of Higher Education
- Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 for Facilities Service and Cleaning Staff
- Minnesota Office of Higher Education: Coronavirus Updates
- University of Minnesota: COVID-19 Updates
- Minnesota State: Students, employees, and visitors must complete a COVID-19 health assessment prior to entering any Minnesota State campus or the system office
- Minnesota Private Colleges: COVID-19 updates
- CDC: Considerations for Institutes of Higher Education
- CDC: COVID-19 Guidance for Shared or Congregate Housing
- American College Health Association: COVID-19 Resources