Schools and Child Care: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
On April 23, 2020, Governor Walz authorized the Commissioner of Education to extend the Distance Learning Period through the end of the 2019-2020 school calendar year. (Executive Order 20-41).More information is available:
The situation surrounding the outbreak is rapidly evolving and the information or recommendations are changing as new information becomes available. Please follow MDH and CDC recommendations and avoid creating situations that may stigmatize staff or students.
- Guidance for Social Distancing in Youth and Student Programs (PDF)
Guidance for youth programs, K-12 schools, colleges, universities, and day camps. MDH continues to evaluate the feasibility of overnight camp operations, and will offer supplemental guidance when programming is able to resume.
- Guidance for Social Distancing in Youth Sports (PDF
- Reopening of Public Swimming Pool and Aquatic Facilities (PDF)
- Playground Guidance for Schools and Child Care Programs (PDF)
Safety and Well-being
- COVID-19 Exclusion Guidance: Decision Tree for Symptomatic Individuals in Schools & Childcare Programs (PDF)
MDH exclusion guidance for schools and child care programs.
- Masking Recommendations for Child Care and Schools
Recommendations for those caring for children of essential workers (child care providers, family child care providers, and school-age care) and for Institutes of Higher Education (IHE).
- Food Service Worker Safety Information (PDF)
Guidance for school food programs.
- Supporting Mental Well-being during COVID-19
Institutes of Higher Education (IHE)
- Institutes of Higher Education (IHE)
Interpretive guidance for IHE recommendations.
- COVID-19 Cleaning and Disinfecting Guidance for Institutes of Higher Education
Cleaning and Disinfecting
- COVID-19 Cleaning and Disinfecting Guidance for Schools and Child Care Programs
- Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 for Facilities Service and Cleaning Staff
- Recommended Supplies for Schools: COVID-19
Cleaning supplies for students and staff, including the health services and custodial teams.
Other Resources and Print Materials
- Hand Hygiene
Video, posters, teaching materials, and more related to handwashing.
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Print Resources
CDC handouts and posters.
- Stay Home If You're Sick (PDF)
- Infectious Diseases in Childcare Settings and Schools Manual
Hennepin County infectious disease manual.