Schools and Child Care: COVID-19
It is important that everyone in the school community take steps to reduce COVID-19 transmission, particularly to those at high risk, while balancing the need to maintain a strong education system that effectively supports staff, students, and communities.
More information is available:
- Minnesota Department of Education: COVID-19 Updates
- State of Minnesota: COVID19 Response Child Care Information for Families and Providers
Videos, print materials (includes school-specific posters), and translated documents to assist with responding to COVID-19.
Child care and K-12 programming
- 2020-2021 Planning Guide for Schools: Health Considerations for Navigating COVID-19 (PDF)
This document provides parameters for schools to use in their planning for possible reopening in fall 2020-2021. Additional guidance will be determined as the COVID-19 response evolves through the summer months and into the fall.
- Data for K-12 Schools: 14-day COVID-19 Case Rate by County (PDF)
This document provides data that can be used by schools in making decisions about their safe learning model.
Updated: 11/19/20, updated every Thursday.
In observance of the Thanksgiving holiday, we will not be updating this data on Thursday, Nov. 26. The data will be updated on the afternoon of Friday, Nov. 27.
- Guidance for Delivering Direct Student Support Services: Staff Protective Equipment (PDF)
This document provides direction to school staff on the type of protective equipment that will be needed to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission when delivering direct student support services.
- Guidance for Providing Support to Students in Their Homes (PDF)
This document outlines guidance for school district staff providing in-home services to meet individual student needs.
- Guidance for Providing Nebulization Treatments in Schools (PDF)
This document provides guidance on the use of nebulizers and peak-flow meters in schools and other educational venues.
- COVID-19 Prevention Guidance for Youth and Student Programs (PDF)
This guidance outlines prevention strategies to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in youth and student programs.
- COVID-19 Prevention Guidance for Overnight Youth Camps (PDF)
Supplemental guidance for overnight camp operations.
- Playground Guidance for Schools and Child Care Programs (PDF)
Safety and well-being
- What To Do When Notified of a Lab-Confirmed Case of COVID-19 in Child Care Settings or Youth Programs (PDF)
Resources and instructions to protect staff and children in your child care or youth programs if notified of a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- Handling a Suspected or Confirmed Positive Case of COVID-19: Information for Schools (PDF)
- COVID-19 Decision Tree for People in Schools, Youth, and Child Care Programs (PDF)
MDH exclusion guidance for schools, youth, and child care programs.
- COVID-19 Attendance Guide for Parents and Families (PDF)
Guide for parents and families to understand when children can attend school, youth programs, and child care during COVID-19.
- Home Screening Tool for COVID-19 Symptoms (PDF)
Home screening tool for parents and guardians related to COVID-19.
- Masking in Schools (PDF)
Information schools can provide to parents about masks in school.
- Masking Requirements for Child Care
Recommendations for those caring for children of essential workers (child care providers, family child care providers, and school-age care).
- Ventilation Guidance for Schools: COVID-19
- COVID-19 Saliva Testing for Public and Private Teachers and School Staff: Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Food Service Worker Safety Information (PDF)
Guidance for school food programs.
- Minimizing the Spread of COVID-19: Tips for Drop-off and Pick up in Child Care Setting (PDF)
- Supporting Mental Well-being during COVID-19
Cleaning and disinfecting
- COVID-19 Cleaning and Disinfecting Guidance for Schools and Child Care Programs
- Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 for Facilities Service and Cleaning Staff
- Supplies for Schools: COVID-19
Cleaning supplies for students and staff, including the health services and custodial teams.
CDC guidance and resources
- K-12 Schools and Child Care Programs
FAQs for administrators, teachers, and parents.
- Guidance for Child Care Programs that Remain Open
- Childcare, Schools, and Youth Programs
Guidance documents to plan, prepare, and respond.
Additional resources and print materials
- Guidance Library: COVID-19
- Cleaning & Disinfecting for COVID-19 (PDF)
- Hand Hygiene
Video, posters, teaching materials, and more related to handwashing.
- Hand Hygiene for Schools and Child Care
Hand hygiene information, research, and guidelines for schools and child care.
- Hand Hygiene for Schools and Child Care
- Infectious Diseases in Childcare Settings and Schools Manual
Hennepin County infectious disease manual.
- Institutes of Higher Education (IHE)
Planning guidance for mitigating COVID-19 spread on campus and other interpretive guidance.