The MDH Engineering Section provides engineering/architectural review and construction inspection of construction activity that takes place in licensed (and certified) health care facilities in Minnesota.
Engineering Services is committed to assisting health care facilities during the pandemic by offering guidance and/or reviewing plans for COVID-19 related projects.
Any planning, construction or change of use in a health care facility in response to the COVID-19 pandemic must be in accordance with the facilities emergency management plan, surge plan and risk assessments. Engineering will not perform a formal plan approval for temporary construction but we can provide valuable advice based on what we are hearing and general industry standards.
For guidance on temporary construction activity or change of use, submit plans to email@example.com.
Permanent change to a facility for COVID-19 must be submitted and reviewed in accordance with our established process Construction Plan Submittal Process. Please be aware that engineering will prioritize this type of review so your project is not delayed.
We are still reviewing and inspecting non-COVID-19 related construction projects at this time as quickly as we are able. However, please expect major delays as these projects are our lowest priorities at the time. The submittal process remains the same. Thank you for your patience as we make COVID-19 related construction projects our top priority.
MDH COVID-19 Information
Frequently Asked Questions
Temporary Negative Pressure and HVAC
- HVAC and Fan Considerations for Long-term Care during COVID-19 (PDF)
- Guidelines for Temporary Negative Pressure Isolation Rooms (PDF)
- Temporary Wall Construction Guidelines (PDF)
- Airborne Infectious Disease Management (PDF)
Temporary Tent Structures
- Guidelines for Temporary Tent Structures Used in Health Care Facilities Non-Inpatient Use (PDF)
- State Fire Marshall Guidance for Temporary Use of Tents in Health Care (PDF)
Medical Gas and Oxygen Information
- Oxygen Cylinder Storage Requirements (PDF)
- Medical Air and Oxygen Capacity (PDF)
- Sizing Medical Gases for Covid 19 (PDF)
Water Protection System
- Responding to Water Stagnation in Building with Reduced or No Water Use (PDF)
- CDC Guidance for Building Water Systems
- MDH Guidelines for Water Utilities During Times of Low or No Use (PDF)
- MDH Guidance for Building Owners During Times of Low or No Use (PDF)
- Flushing Guidance for Periods of Low or No Use (PDF)
- Flushing Plans and Videos for Large Buildings
- Guidance for Temporary Plastic Barriers in Health Care Settings
- Ventilation Mitigation Strategies - CDC
- Guidance for Temporary COVID-19 Beds in Large Common Spaces
- CMS Blanket Waiver (PDF)
- Center for Health Design - COVID-19
- ASHE recommendation for OR use during COVID-19
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
On July 5, 2016, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) adopted the 2012 editions of NFPA 101 and NFPA 99. Review CMS Final Rule.
- Construction Plan Submittal Process
- Layaway/Active Status Bed Plan Submittal Process