Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC)
- C&TC home
- Fact sheets for each screening component
- C&TC Training Descriptions
- Register or Request Training
- Adolescent and Young Adult C&TC
- Fluoride Varnish in the C&TC Setting
- C&TC Developmental-Social Emotional Screening in the Clinic Setting
- Contact C&TC Program
Child and Teen Checkups Information for Families
Healthy children are more likely to grow up to be healthy adults. Regular checkups give parents and health care providers an opportunity to check children's growth and development, identify any concerns, and treat them early to prevent bigger problems later on.
Child and Teen Checkups is Minnesota's comprehensive child health program for children and teens from newborn through the age of 20 years who are eligible for Medicaid. The purpose of the program is to identify, diagnose and treat potential health problems or conditions early and to encourage the development of good health habits.
Listen to this Inclusion Matters podcast to learn about the importance of health screening for young children.
Child and Teen Checkups (C&TC) are a benefit for Medicaid eligible children. A Child and Teen Checkup is a well-child check that is done at all ages birth through young adulthood (0-through 20 years), to help children and youth stay healthy, and to take care of any health concerns or problems early.
Checkups help with staying up-to-date on immunizations, detect health problems like anemia and lead exposure so that they can be treated early. In addition, parents and children can get help for any concerns about development, behavior, or mental health information about staying and becoming healthier - including healthy foods, how to keep children active and strong, and how to help children be successful in school.
For more information, to check your child's eligibility, or for help setting up an appointment visit freechildcheckups.com (from Hennepin County C&TC): They're healthy. You're happy. And it's free.
C&TC Appointments Include:
- Head-to-toe exam with immunizations and lab tests (as needed)
- Checks on development and growth and hearing and vision checks
- Information about good physical and mental health
- Time to ask questions and get answers about your child's health, behavior, and development and to talk about the child's learning, feelings, relationships, parenting and caregiver well-being
- Application of Fluoride Varnish to keep the teeth healthy
- Referral to the dentist or other providers (as needed)
- Early dental checkups help keep teeth healthy, and ensure your child doesn't develop cavities or other tooth problems that require treatment
- Visits to the dentist should begin as soon as a baby gets their first tooth, or no later than 12 months old and regular dental visits should continue every six months, or more often if your dentist recommends
How to Prepare for a C&TC Appointment
- If you have specific concerns or needs, please let the clinic know when scheduling the appointment so they can allow enough time for the visit.
- Write down questions you and your child have about their health, growth, development, behavior, or safety and share concerns early in the visit, so you have time to talk with your provider.
- Be sure to bring ANY forms you need filled out with you. Child and Teen Checkups meet the health requirements for Head Start, WIC, school, sports or child care.
Need help to find a doctor or dentist? Make an appointment? Find transportation? Find an interpreter?
- If you receive your health care through a health plan, call your health plan member services phone number, which is on the back of your member card.
- Call your county human services, public health or tribal health agency and talk to a C&TC staff person. Find their phone number on the Minnesota C&TC County and Tribe Contact List (PDF).
- For transportation under MinnesotaCare, call 800-657-3672 (toll-free) or 651-297-3862 (Twin Cities).
Resources for Families
- Minnesota's Follow Along Program can help you track your child's development and let you know if your child is playing, talking, growing, moving, and behaving like other children
- freechildcheckups.com (from Hennepin County C&TC) - check your child's eligibility or for help setting up an appointment
- Well Visit Planner - an interactive planner to help you plan your well child visit (not specific to Child and Teen Checkups)
- Vaccines for Infants, Children, and Adolescents – information for families on who needs vaccines and when, immunization forms and MN immunization laws
- Child Development from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - information on child development and positive parenting tips
- HealthyChildren.org - information for families from the American Academy of Pediatrics, including symptom checker and mobile phone app
- Help Me Grow - information about child development, including milestones and videos
- Child Care Aware - information on choosing and finding quality child care in Minnesota
- Zero to Three - information about development and activities for your child