- Cardiovascular Health Home
- CVH Data and Trends
- CVH Programs & Resources
- 2030 State Plan
- Minnesota Stroke Program
- About Us
- About Heart Attacks
- About Heart Disease
- About High Blood Pressure
- About High Cholesterol
- About Stroke
Cardiac rehabilitation (rehab) is a multi-session program for patients who have had a cardiac-related event or procedure, such as having stable angina or undergone bypass. The program helps patients recover quicker and prevent future heart attacks or stroke.
Although cardiac rehab has been proven to have multiple health benefits, only 24% of adults with Medicare in the U.S. report participating in the program, and only 27% have completed the recommended 36 sessions.1
Cardiac rehab has been proven to reduce:
- Death from all causes by 13-24%
- Death from cardiac causes by 26-31%
- Hospitalizations by 31%2
What We Do
MDH provides cardiac rehab programs with resources and support to promote their programs and educate patients.
For example, MDH is working with the Minnesota Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation to implement food insecurity screenings in some cardiac rehab sites.
Caregivers can play an important part in the cardiac rehab process. Read more about the role of a caregiver at Caregiver Tips for Cardiac Rehabilitation (PDF)
Access to affordable and nutritious foods and opportunities to be physically active is vital to patient success.
Read more about how patients are thriving after completing their cardiac rehab programs.
- Tenacity and teamwork help patient have more time with family
- Firefighter overcomes heart health challenges
- Cardiac rehab gives security guard a new lease on life
There are multiple barriers to successful patient participation, not the least of which is cost. Reducing or eliminating copays and expanding access through home or community-based options can help improve participation and completion rates.
- MNACVPR-Minnesota Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehab
- AACVPR-American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehab
- Million Hearts Cardiac Rehabilitation Collaborative
- American Heart Association – Cardiac Rehabilitation
1. Ritchey, M.D., Maresh, S., McNeely, J., Shaffer, T., Jackson, S.L., Keteyian, S.J., ...Wright, J. Tracking Cardiac Rehabilitation Participation and Completion Among Medicare Beneficiaries to Inform the Efforts of a National Initiative. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, 13(1). doi:10.1161/circoutcomes.119.005902.
2. Ades, P. A., Keteyian, S. J., Wright, J. S., Hamm, L. F., Lui, K., Newlin, K., … Thomas, R. J. (2017). Increasing Cardiac Rehabilitation Participation From 20% to 70%: A Road Map From the Million Hearts Cardiac Rehabilitation Collaborative. Mayo Clinic proceedings, 92(2), 234–242. doi:10.1016/j.mayocp.2016.10.014