Breastfeeding Friendly Birth Centers
Apply to be Recognized as Breastfeeding Friendly
The Minnesota Breastfeeding Friendly Birth Center (BFFBC) Recognition Program recognizes Birth Centers statewide that have taken steps toward implementing the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding.
The journey to accomplishing the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding, as defined by the World Health Organization and Baby-Friendly USA, is a unique and incremental process for each Birth Center to promote and support best infant feeding practices.
The Minnesota Department of Health recognizes facilities that have attained Baby-Friendly® designation (from Baby-Friendly USA) with the Minnesota Mother-Baby Ten STEPS Award. It also recognizes facilities that are making progress toward implementing the Ten Steps through the Five-Star Recognition program.
- The Minnesota Breastfeeding Friendly Birth Center Recognition Program is not meant to be a replacement for the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative, nor will this program prepare hospitals fully for achieving Baby-Friendly® designation (www.babyfriendlyusa.org).
- The Minnesota Breastfeeding Friendly Birth Center Recognition Program is meant to encourage adoption of environments, policies and practices conducive to breastfeeding in Birth Centers, and provide recognition for taking steps toward breastfeeding excellence.
- Demonstrate your Birth Center's excellence in infant care and feeding practices.
- Promote your facility as supporting chest/breastfeeding parents and families.
- Be recognized for achieving improvements in Birth Center care practices.
- Build momentum to achieve all Ten Steps and Baby-Friendly® designation.
How to apply
Facilities that have attained Baby-Friendly® designation (from Baby-Friendly USA) can submit an expedited application for the Five-Star Recognition and the Minnesota Mother-Baby Ten STEPS Award.
The Five-Star Recognition award recognizes Birth Centers in Minnesota that have taken steps toward implementing the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding and encourages progress toward achieving the Baby-Friendly® designation. The program celebrates each milestone by awarding Birth Centers one star for every two steps achieved, for a total of five stars.
How to apply
- To get started, complete the Five-Star Recognition Intent to Apply. We will get back to you with a login to the full application.
- Print the Ten Steps Descriptions and Sample Application (PDF) to help you organize the information you need for the application.
For every two of the ten steps achieved, Birth Centers receive one star. The steps may be completed in any order. Star recognition is valid for up to three years (or until a Baby-Friendly designation expires).
- Measurement Guidance for Minnesota Department of Health's (MDH) 5-Star Recognition Program (PDF)
- Breastfeeding Friendly Birth Center Recognition Committee (PDF)
Application review process
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The MDH Breastfeeding Friendly Birth Center recognition is valid for three years; you need to reapply after your recognition expires. If you have recognition through the expedited process (Baby-Friendly® designation from Baby-Friendly USA) recognition is valid for 5 years.
Birth Centers that receive star recognition will receive:
- Recognition on the MDH website.
- A certificate to display.
- A sample media communications template
For more information, email Health.BFMC@state.mn.us or call 651-201-3649.
The Minnesota Department of Health thanks the North Carolina Department of Public Health's Nutrition Services Branch for generously allowing Minnesota to adapt its program. The technical assistance provided has been invaluable and is much appreciated. The Minnesota Department of Health also continues to model their program after the World Health Organization/United Nations Children's Fund's (UNICEF) Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding, Baby Friendly USA, Ohio First Steps for Healthy Babies, and Texas Ten Step Program.