Breastfeeding Friendly Health Departments
Apply to be Recognized as Breastfeeding Friendly
Local public health agencies and tribal health boards are eligible for recognition as a Breastfeeding Friendly Health Department at Bronze, Silver and Gold levels.
Bronze level status: A health department must demonstrate completion of Step One, Step Two, and any three additional steps, for a total of five steps
Silver level status: A health department must demonstrate completion of the requirements for Bronze level recognition, plus completion of any two additional steps
Gold level status: A health department must demonstrate completion of all Ten Steps
Ten Steps for Breastfeeding Friendly Health Departments*
The Ten Steps for Breastfeeding Friendly Health Departments provide a framework for health departments seeking to strengthen their ability to promote and support breastfeeding.
- Establish a designated individual/group to lead the effort become a breastfeeding-friendly health department.
- Have a written breastfeeding policy.
- Coordinate support and promotion to establish breastfeeding as the “norm” in the community.
- Collaborate with community partners to ensure access to breastfeeding classes.
- Educate the community on breastfeeding support.
- Encourage racially and ethnically diverse resources within the community.
- Support mothers in initiating and maintaining breastfeeding for 12 months and beyond.
- Encourage local public places to provide a breastfeeding-friendly environment.
- Select businesses each year and provide workplace lactation support training.
- Facilitate access to information and training for local childcare centers to support breastfeeding.
Recognition at any level lasts five years, after which health departments will need to submit an application to renew their recognition status. Health departments are invited to apply for an increase in status (to Silver or Gold level recognition) at any time.
How to apply
- To get started, complete the Intent to Apply for the Breastfeeding Friendly Health Department. We will get back to you with a login for the full application.
- Also consider printing the sample Breastfeeding Friendly Health Department Application (PDF) to help you organize the information you need for the application.
Applications are reviewed once annually in August. Application materials are accepted at any time, but must be submitted by July 15 for review that calendar year. Applications are reviewed by a committee made up of staff from the Minnesota Department of Health, local public health agencies and the Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition.
Upon approval for recognition, applicants will receive a printable electronic certificate and a digital logo that can be used on the health department website or in promotional materials. A sample media and internal newsletter template will also be provided, and “Breastfeeding Friendly Recognized” window clings will be available for order. Newly designated BFHDs will be acknowledged at the annual Community Health Conference held each fall.
Email questions about the recognition program or application process to email@example.com.
* The Ten Steps were developed by Bonnie Brueshoff, Director of Public Health in Dakota County, in partial fulfillment of the requirements for her Doctor of Nursing Practice and were created in partnership with 10 pilot sites across Minnesota.