Businesses and Employers: COVID-19
Consider establishing business or organizational requirements or recommendations that address proven public health mitigation strategies, such as social distancing and face coverings. Depending on the type of business, certain mitigation strategies may also be required by Executive Order (see below for details and effective dates) or federal, state, and local law.
Public health mitigation strategies are especially important when COVID-19 vaccination rates of staff and/or visitors are either low or unknown, in settings that primarily serve children who are not eligible for vaccination (under age 12) and/or who were recently eligible and may not be fully vaccinated (ages 12-15), and in settings that serve high-risk populations with weaker immune systems.
Under Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) laws, employers will continue to be responsible for providing a safe and healthy workplace free from recognized hazards likely to cause death or serious physical harm. For additional employer resources on these obligations or inquiries about OSHA Emergency Temporary Standards, visit:
- Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry: Updates related to COVID-19
- OSHA Protecting Workers: Guidance on Mitigating and Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 in the Workplace
MDH and CDC have issued several guidance documents for employers.
- COVID-19 Recommendations for Business and Industry (PDF)
- Health Screening (PDF)
Poster for visitor and employee health screening checklist for building entrances.
- CDC: Reducing the Spread of COVID-19 in Workplaces
Refer to the question on screening employees for COVID-19 symptoms (such as temperature checks) for additional guidance.
- CDC: Workplaces and Businesses
More information about COVID-19 and workplaces.
- CDC: For Specific Industries and Occupations
Public health recommendations and detailed guidance for many industries.
- Materials and Resources for COVID-19 Response
Posters such as social distancing at work, health screening, and more available for download and print.
- COVID-19 Testing Master Contract Program
Local and state government agencies can use COVID-19 testing contracts from the Department of Administration to set up testing programs or initiatives. This includes schools, correctional facilities, city governments, and other settings.
- Recommendations for Attendees and Organizers of Events: COVID-19
- Food Safety during the COVID-19 Pandemic
State and federal guidance for food industry operations. Includes best practices for retail food stores, restaurants, and food pick-up/delivery services.
- Minnesota Department of Health Process for Assessing Situational Risk for Transmission SARS-CoV-2 (PDF)
- Guidance for Environmental Health Response to COVID-19 Cases in Regulated Business (PDF)
Guidance for state and local environmental health specialists to expand the scope of the types of outbreaks to which they typically respond.
- Disaster Mental/Behavioral Health and COVID-19
Mental health and behavioral health resources specific to COVID-19.
- Minnesota Department of Natural Resources: COVID-19 Response
- CDC: Carpooling Factsheet (PDF)
Information on how to prevent the spread of COVID-19 when carpooling.
- CDC: Agriculture Workers and Employers
Refer to “Special considerations for shared housing” section for guidance on shared and congregate housing.
- CDC: People with a Temporary Agricultural Work Visa (H-2A Visa)
Additional information and considerations for people traveling to the United States on a temporary agricultural work visa.
- IDEPC Comment Form
Use this form to contact the Minnesota Department of Health for questions or comments about health related issues or this web page.
- Contact the State of Minnesota
Use this contact form for questions or comments related to businesses and employment or other non-health related issues.