Businesses and Employers: COVID-19
As of June 1, the executive order from Governor Walz allows for the opening and operation of several types of businesses previously closed as a precautionary move.
Minnesota's Stay Safe Plan
As we continue the process of reopening our economy and returning to work and activities we enjoy, we must continue social distancing practices to save lives and stay safe. This plan outlines Minnesota's phased in approach to reopening various business and social settings.
General business guidance
- Stay Safe Guidance for All Business Entities
Includes the official guidance for all businesses in multiple languages, preparedness plan template and instructions, and other business guidance materials.
- COVID-19 Preparedness Plan Overview for Businesses and Employers
Quick reference for developing and implementing a COVID-19 Preparedness Plan.
The health department and CDC have made available several guidance documents for employers.
- Visitor and Employee Health Screening Checklist (PDF)
- What to do if an employee has COVID-19 (PDF)
- COVID-19 Employee Screening and Testing Recommendations for Industry (PDF)
- CDC: Reducing the Spread of COVID-19 in Workplaces
See the question on screening employees for COVID-19 symptoms (such as temperature checks) for additional guidance.
- COVID-19 and When to Return to Work (PDF)
- Amharic: COVID-19 and When to Return to Work (PDF)
- Arabic: COVID-19 and When to Return to Work (PDF)
- Chinese: COVID-19 and When to Return to Work (PDF)
- Hmong: COVID-19 and When to Return to Work (PDF)
- Karen: COVID-19 and When to Return to Work (PDF)
- Lao: COVID-19 and When to Return to Work (PDF)
- Oromo: COVID-19 and When to Return to Work (PDF)
- Russian: COVID-19 and When to Return to Work (PDF)
- Somali: COVID-19 and When to Return to Work (PDF)
- Spanish: COVID-19 and When to Return to Work (PDF)
- Vietnamese: COVID-19 and When to Return to Work (PDF)
- COVID-19 Recommendations for Critical Infrastructure Businesses and Industries (PDF)
- Materials and Resources for COVID-19 Response
Posters such as social distancing at work, health screening, and more available for download and print.
Food industry guidance
Due to the critical nature of maintaining our food supplies, care and caution should be taken by employers in this industry to ensure health and safety standards are being met for employees. Guidance for food industry operations of various types can be found on Food Safety during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- COVID-19 Health and Safety Guidelines for the Meatpacking Industry (PDF)
For translations, see DLI: MNOSHA Compliance: Novel coronavirus (COVID-19)
Food processing and manufacturing
- COVID-19 Health and Safety Guidelines for Food Processors and Manufacturers (PDF)
- Food Processing and Manufacturing COVID-19 Best Practices Checklist (PDF)
- Industry Guidance for Safely Reopening: Restaurants and Bars (PDF)
- Industry Guidance for Gyms and Fitness Centers (PDF)
- Industry Guidance for Safely Reopening: Faith-Based Communities, Places of Worship, Weddings, and Funerals (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions: Bars, Restaurants, and Other Places of Public Accommodation (PDF)
Information for the hospitality industry and regulatory agencies.
- Interim Guidance: Mobile Food Units at Rest Areas (PDF)
Information for the mobile food industry and regulatory agencies.
- Interim Guidance for Hotel Managers and Owners (PDF)
Guidance for operators of lodging facilities that are open for regular business, as well as those that are being used as temporary housing for people who have been infected with or exposed to COVID-19.
- Guidance for Environmental Health Response to COVID-19 Cases in Regulated Business (PDF)
Guidance for state and local environmental health (EH) specialists to expand the scope of the types of outbreaks to which they typically respond.
- Minnesota Department of Natural Resources: Guidance for Safely Opening Outdoor Recreation
Guidelines address public health protection measures for authorized outdoor recreational facilities.
- Disaster Mental/Behavioral Health and COVID-19
Mental health and behavioral health resources specific to COVID-19.
- IDEPC Comment Form
Use this form to contact the Minnesota Department of Health for questions or comments about health related issues or this web page.
- Contact the State of Minnesota
Use this contact form for questions or comments related to businesses and employment or other non-health related issues.