The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released new guidance that shortens quarantine in certain situations. CDC: Options to Reduce Quarantine for Contacts of Persons with SARS-CoV-2 Infection Using Symptom Monitoring and Diagnostic Testing
Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) is reviewing the CDC guidance and will make recommendations over the next few days. We will update all documents to reflect any changes.
For the time being, people should continue to follow the current MDH guidelines, including to stay home (quarantine) for 14 days if exposed to COVID-19. Close Contacts and Tracing
Guidance Library: COVID-19
List of guidance documents available for COVID-19 response.
Businesses, Employers, and Schools
- Industry Guidance for Safely Reopening: Restaurants and Bars (PDF)
- Stay Safe Guidance for Gyms, Studios, and Fitness Centers
- Preparedness Plan Requirements for Faith-Based Communities, Places of Worship, Weddings, and Funerals (PDF)
Previously called: Industry Guidance for Safely Reopening: Faith-Based Communities, Places of Worship, Weddings, and Funerals.
- Employee Exposure to COVID-19: Contact Tracing Guidelines for Critical Infrastructure Businesses and Industries (PDF)
- Visitor and Employee Health Screening Checklist (PDF)
- What To Do if an Employee has COVID-19 (PDF)
- COVID-19 Employee Screening and Testing Recommendations for Industry (PDF)
- COVID-19: When to Return to Work (PDF)
- COVID-19 Recommendations for Critical Infrastructure Businesses and Industries (PDF)
- Food Safety during the COVID-19 Pandemic
Compilation of resources from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA), and other state and national agencies. Includes guidelines for the meatpacking industry.
- COVID-19 Health and Safety Guidelines for Food Processors and Manufacturers (PDF)
- Food Processing and Manufacturing COVID-19 Best Practices Checklist (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Executive Orders Related to Bars, Restaurants, and Other Places of Public Accommodation (PDF)
Information for the hospitality industry and regulatory agencies.
- Interim Guidance: Mobile Food Units at Rest Areas (PDF)
Information for the mobile food industry and regulatory agencies.
- COVID-19 Guidance for Hotel Managers and Owners (PDF)
Guidance for operators of lodging facilities that are open for regular business, as well as those that are being used as temporary housing for people who have been infected with or exposed to COVID-19.
- Guidance for Environmental Health Response to COVID-19 Cases in Regulated Business (PDF)
Guidance for state and local environmental health (EH) specialists to expand the scope of the types of outbreaks to which they typically respond.
- 2020-2021 Planning Guide for Schools: Health Considerations for Navigating COVID-19 (PDF)
This document provides parameters for schools to use in their planning for possible reopening in fall 2020-2021. Additional guidance will be determined as the COVID-19 response evolves through the summer months and into the fall.
- Guidance for Delivering Direct Student Support Services: Staff Protective Equipment (PDF)
This document provides direction to school staff on the type of protective equipment that will be needed to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission when delivering direct student support services.
- Guidance for Providing Support to Students in Their Homes (PDF)
This document outlines guidance for school district staff providing in-home services to meet individual student needs.
- Guidance for Providing Nebulization Treatments in Schools (PDF)
This document provides guidance on the use of nebulizers and peak-flow meters in schools and other educational venues.
- COVID-19 Prevention Guidance for Youth and Student Programs (PDF)
This guidance outlines prevention strategies to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in youth and student programs.
- COVID-19 Prevention Guidance for Overnight Youth Camps (PDF)
Supplemental guidance for overnight camp operations.
- Playground Guidance for Schools and Child Care Programs (PDF)
- What To Do When Notified of a Lab-Confirmed Case of COVID-19 in Child Care Settings or Youth Programs (PDF)
Resources and instructions to protect staff and children in your child care or youth programs if notified of a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- Handling a Suspected or Confirmed Positive Case of COVID-19: Information for Schools (PDF)
- COVID-19 Decision Tree for People in Schools, Youth, and Child Care Programs (PDF)
MDH exclusion guidance for schools, youth, and child care programs.
- COVID-19 Attendance Guide for Parents and Families (PDF)
Guide for parents and families to understand when children can attend school, youth programs, and child care during COVID-19.
- Home Screening Tool for COVID-19 Symptoms (PDF)
Home screening tool for parents and guardians related to COVID-19.
- COVID-19 Saliva Testing for Public and Private Teachers and School Staff: Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Food Service Worker Safety Information (PDF)
Guidance for school food programs.
- Supporting Mental Well-being during COVID-19
- COVID-19 Cleaning and Disinfecting Guidance for Schools and Child Care Programs
- Ventilation Guidance for Schools: COVID-19
- Guidance for Mitigating COVID-19 at Higher Education Institutions (PDF)
- Recommendations for Different Levels of COVID-19 Transmission Among Higher Education Institutions (PDF)
- COVID-19 Sports Guidance for Higher Education (PDF)
- Guidance for COVID-19 Cases and Outbreaks in Higher Education (PDF)
- Isolation and Quarantine Quick Reference Guidance for Higher Education (PDF)
- COVID-19 and Higher Education: Frequently Asked Questions
- Campus Dining Services Guidance for Higher Education Institutions (PDF)
- COVID-19 Cleaning and Disinfecting Guidance for Institutes of Higher Education
- Occupational Health and Safety Resources Related to COVID-19
- CDC: Reducing the Spread of COVID-19 in Workplaces
See the question on screening employees for COVID-19 symptoms (such as temperature checks) for additional guidance.
- Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers Responding to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
May help prevent workplace exposures to COVID-19, in non-healthcare settings. (CDC has provided separate guidance for health care settings.)
- Guidance for Child Care Programs that Remain Open
Should be used in conjunction with CDC's guidance for administrators.
- Interim Guidance for Administrators of US K-12 Schools and Child Care Programs
For administrators of public and private child care programs and K-12 schools.
- Interim Guidance for Administrators of US Institutions of Higher Education (IHE)
For administrators of public and private institutions of higher education (IHE).
- Safe Holiday Celebrations during COVID-19
- Indoor Air Considerations: COVID-19
General considerations for air flow, ventilation, circulation, and more.
- COVID-19 Youth and Adult Sports under Executive Order 20-99 (PDF)
Previously called: COVID-19 Sports Guidance for Youth and Adults.
- COVID-19 Guidance for Public Pools and Aquatic Facilities (PDF)
Previously called: Reopening of Public Swimming Pool and Aquatic Facilities
- Music Activities and Performances During COVID-19 (PDF)
- Guidance for Caring for People in Their Homes (PDF)
- Guidance for Vehicle Gatherings, Parades, and Drive-ins (PDF)
Outlines recommendations that organizers of vehicle gatherings should consider when planning a vehicle event.
- Gathering Requirements for Celebrations and Significant Life Events (PDF)
Previously titled: Guidance for Safe Celebrations and Events
- Guidance for Gatherings: Faith-based Communities, Places of Worship, and Ceremonies (PDF)
- Guidance for Hmong Funerals during COVID-19 (PDF)
- Mortuary Science
Licensing and regulation of funeral establishments; includes COVID-19 specific guidance.
- Interim Guidance for Facilities Providing Non-Emergency Transportation Services during COVID-19 (PDF)
Guidance for Home and Community-Based Service (HCBS) providers, including day services and residential providers, when offering transportation services to high-risk participants in order to best protect drivers and occupants.
- COVID-19: Families and People Living in Encampments (PDF)
- Homeless Service Settings: Interim Guidance for Providers (PDF)
These recommendations apply to homeless service settings and encampments.
- Guidance for COVID-19 Work Exclusion: Homeless Service & Shelter Providers (PDF)
- COVID-19 Testing: Congregate Settings for People Experiencing Homelessness or Living in Emergency Shelters (PDF)
- Interim Guidance about People Experiencing Unsheltered Homelessness and Encampment Settings (PDF)
- COVID-19 Toolkit for Shelters and Drop-in Centers (PDF)
- Interim Guidance for Adult Day Centers to Reduce the Risk and Spread of COVID-19 (PDF)
- Information for Adult Day Centers and Day Service Facilities with a Confirmed Case of COVID-19 (PDF)
- Jails and Correctional Settings: Interim Guidance for Responding to Cases of Confirmed or Suspected COVID-19 (PDF)
- COVID-19 Testing Recommendations for Jails, Prisons, and Detention Facilities (PDF)
- Guidance for Work Exclusion of Law Enforcement Personnel Exposed to a Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 Case (PDF)
- COVID-19 Testing Guidance for Minnesota Correctional Facilities and Work Exclusion Guidance for Law Enforcement Personnel (PDF)
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Guidance for Minnesota Correctional Facilities (PDF)
- Questions and Answers for Staff, Families, and Clients of Children's Residential Facilities: COVID-19
- Residential Substance Use Disorder Treatment Facilities: COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions
- COVID-19 Guidance for Building or Property Managers and Management Companies in Multi-unit and High-rise Housing (PDF)
Guidance for congregate housing, including apartment buildings, public housing, and other settings where groups of people or families live.
- Interim Guidance on the Prevention of COVID-19 for Employees and Persons Who Use Services in Licensed Group Homes (PDF)
Guidance for providers delivering 245D licensed residential services in adult foster care homes, community residential settings, supervised living facilities, and intermediate care facilities.
- Interim Guidance on the Management of COVID-19 for Employees and Persons Who Use Services in Licensed Group Homes (PDF)
- COVID-19 Testing in Residential Programs Licensed by the Department of Human Services: Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- COVID-19 Testing Resources for Residential Programs Licensed by the Department of Human Services (PDF)
- Updated Guidance for MDH-Licensed Providers of Residential Settings with At-Risk Residents | COVID-19 (PDF)
This guidance applies to all providers licensed by MDH where individuals at risk receive services.
- Interim Guidance for the Prevention of COVID-19 in DHS-Licensed Residential and Non-Residential Settings with At-Risk Persons (PDF)
This guidance expands recommendations to DHS-licensed programs that provide residential or non-residential services in congregate settings.
- COVID-19 and Dental Care
When to see a dentist and what counts as a dental emergency.
- Community and Faith-Based Organizations
- Gatherings and Community Events
- Resources to Support People Experiencing Homelessness
- Retirement Communities and Independent Living
- Correctional and Detention Facilities
- COVID-19 Guidance for Shared or Congregate Housing
- If You Are Sick or Caring for Someone
- Discontinuation of Home Isolation for Persons with COVID-19 Not in Healthcare Settings
To help health care providers and public health officials managing patients with coronavirus disease (COVID-19) under in-home isolation.
- Interim Guidance for Public Health Professionals Managing People With COVID-19 in Home Care and Isolation Who Have Pets or Other Animals
Facemasks and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Masks and face coverings
What everyone should know about wearing masks in public.
- Best Practices for Masks: Considerations for People with Disabilities and Special Health Needs (PDF)
- Masking in Schools (PDF)
Information schools can provide to parents about masks in school.
- Masking Requirements for Child Care
Recommendations for those caring for children of essential workers (child care providers, family child care providers, and school-age care).
- The Difference Between Alternative Masks and Surgical Masks for COVID-19 (PDF)
- Crisis Standards of Care: Personal Protective Equipment
Includes contingency standards of care for COVID-19 PPE for congregate care settings and home-care and hospice settings.
- Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of Personal Protective Equipment (PDF)
- Interim Guidance on Facemasks as a Source Control Measure (PDF)
Source control is a term used to describe measures intended to prevent infected individuals from spreading disease.
- Interim Guidance on Alternative Facemasks (PDF)
- Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19
- How to Make Your Own Face Covering (YouTube)
- Strategies to Optimize the Supply of PPE and Equipment
CDC's optimization strategies for PPE offer options for use when PPE supplies are stressed, running low, or absent.
- COVID-19 Recommendations for Health Care Workers (PDF)
Recommendations for health care workers who are ill or living with a person suspected of having COVID-19 regarding self-quarantine and restriction from work.
- Staffing Options for Acute Care Facilities With Staff Shortages (PDF)
- Defining Crisis Staffing Shortage in Congregate Care Facilities
Crisis-level staffing criteria, strategies, and guidelines for congregate care facilities.
- Guidance for Temporary COVID-19 Beds in Large Common Spaces
- Interim Guidance for Discharge to Home or New/Re-Admission to Congregate Living Settings and Discontinuing Transmission-Based Precautions (PDF)
- Aerosol-Generating Procedures and Patients with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19 (PDF)
COVID-19 Toolkit: Information for Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Principles for COVID-19 Cohorting in Long-term Care (PDF)
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) and Fan Considerations for Long-term Care during COVID-19 (PDF)
- Long-term Care Guidance under Executive Order 20-99
- Minnesota Home Care Provider/Assisted Living Visitation and Activities Guidance Throughout the COVID-19 Pandemic (PDF)
- COVID-19 Guidance: Nursing Home Visitation and Activity Restriction Modifications (PDF)
- Essential Caregiver Guidance for Long-term Care Facilities
- COVID-19: Visitation Restriction Guidance for Residential Care Facilities in Minnesota (PDF)
- Guidance for Selecting In-building Visitation Areas in Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Guidance for Window Visits at Long-Term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Outdoor Visitation Guidance for Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Guidance for Temporary Tent Structures and Clear Dividers for Long-term Care Visitation (PDF)
- Beauty Shop Guidance for Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Elections and Voting Guidance for Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Guidance for Congregate Living Settings to Assist Residents Requesting Camera Placement (PDF)
- Pulse Oximetry and COVID-19 (PDF)
- Responding to and Monitoring COVID-19 Exposures in Health Care Settings (PDF)
Interim guidance for assessing, monitoring, and protecting health care workers during widespread community transmission.
- Potential Exposure to Patients with COVID-19 in Inpatient Settings including Emergency Departments (ED) (PDF)
- Potential Exposure to COVID-19 in Outpatient Settings excluding Emergency Departments (ED) (PDF)
- Potential Exposure to Residents with COVID-19 in Long-term Care, Nursing Home, and Assisted Living Settings (PDF)
- Potential Exposure to Patients with COVID-19 in Inpatient Settings including Emergency Departments (ED) (PDF)
- COVID-19 Testing Recommendations for Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Essential Resources and Forms for COVID-19 Testing and Case Management in Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Road Map for Conducting a COVID-19 Point Prevalence Survey (PPS) (PDF)
- Access to Support for Patients with Disabilities and Pediatric Patients in Hospital Settings (PDF)
- Ethical Framework to Allocate Remdesivir in the COVID-19 Pandemic (PDF)
Past guidance, key ethical values, and the process for allocation of remdesivir among Minnesota health care facilities and patients.
- Allocation of Ventilators & Related Scarce Critical Care Resources During the COVID-19 Pandemic (PDF)
Statewide ethical guidance for the allocation of ventilators during COVID-19.
- Hospital Guidance: Making Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Decisions in the Context of the COVID-19 Pandemic (PDF)
Statewide ethical guidance for acute care hospitals and performing CPR during COVID-19.
- Supporting Medical Cannabis Patients During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Temporary Changes to Tuberculosis Requirements (PDF)
- Vaccination During COVID-19
- Healthcare Facilities: Managing Operations During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Outlines goals and strategies for all U.S. health care facilities to prepare for and respond to community spread of coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19).
- Preparing for COVID-19 in Nursing Homes
General strategies to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in long-term care facilities.
- Overview of Testing for SARS-CoV-2
The CDC clinical criteria for considering testing for COVID-19 have been developed based on what is known about COVID-19 and are subject to change as additional information becomes available.
- Interim Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations for Healthcare Personnel During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic
Infection control procedures, including administrative rules and engineering controls, environmental hygiene, correct work practices, and appropriate use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Interim Guidance for Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Systems and 911 Public Safety Answering Points (PASPs) for COVID-19 in the United States
For all first responders, including law enforcement, fire services, emergency medical services, and emergency management officials, who anticipate close contact with persons with confirmed or possible COVID-19 in the course of their work.
- Collection and Submission of Postmortem Specimens from Deceased Persons with Known or COVID-19
Guidance for the collection and submission of postmortem specimens.
- Discontinuation of Transmission-Based Precautions and Disposition of Patients with COVID-19 in Healthcare Settings (Interim Guidance)
Reference to guide health care regarding discontinuing transmission-based precautions and discharging hospitalized patients with COVID-19.
- Interim Clinical Guidance for Management of Patients with Confirmed Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Interim guidance for clinicians caring for patients with confirmed COVID-19.
- Interim Guidance for Implementing Home Care of People Not Requiring Hospitalization for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
For coordinating the home care and isolation of people with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 infection, including persons under investigation.
- Considerations for Inpatient Obstetric Healthcare Settings
For healthcare facilities providing obstetric care for pregnant patients with confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) or pregnant persons under investigation in inpatient obstetric healthcare settings including obstetrical triage, labor and delivery, recovery and inpatient postpartum settings.
- Interim Guidelines for Collecting, Handling, and Testing Clinical Specimens for COVID-19
- Interim Laboratory Biosafety Guidelines for Handling and Processing Specimens Associated with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Research Use Only 2019-Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Real-time RT-PCR Primers and Probes
- What Law Enforcement Personnel Need to Know about Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Interim guidance for law enforcement personnel.
- Public Health Guidance for Potential COVID-19 Exposure Associated with International Travel or Cruise Travel
Interim guidance to provide U.S. public health authorities and other partners with a framework for assessing and managing risk of potential exposures to COVID-19 and implementing public health actions based on a person’s risk level and clinical presentation.
- Interim U.S. Guidance for Risk Assessment and Work Restrictions for Healthcare Personnel with Potential Exposure to COVID-19
Interim guidance is intended to assist with assessment of risk, monitoring, and work restriction decisions for health care providers with potential exposure to COVID-19.
- Reducing Stigma
Information to combat stigma and discrimination associated with COVID-19.
- Companion Animals and COVID-19 (PDF)
Information for pet owners on COVID-19.
- Mobile Veterinarians and COVID-19 (PDF)
Guidance for mobile veterinarians caring for animals outside of a fixed facility to protect themselves and clients.
- Veterinary Facilities and COVID-19 (PDF)
Guidance for veterinary facilities on COVID-19.
- Drinking Water and COVID-19
Information and resources about COVID-19 as it relates to drinking water.
- Public Water Systems and COVID-19
Information and resources for public water systems (PWSs) about COVID-19. As buildings prepare to reopen, it's important to take steps to clear out water that has been sitting in pipes and clean and disinfect water features. This site includes information for ensuring water quality in building premise plumbing.
- Water Transmission and COVID-19
Information about COVID-19 and drinking water, recreational water, and wastewater.
- IDEPC Comment Form
Use this form to contact the Minnesota Department of Health for questions or comments about health related issues or this web page.
- Contact the State of Minnesota
Use this contact form for questions or comments related to businesses and employment or other non-health related issues.