- COVID-19 Home
- Situation Update
- About COVID-19
- Sick or Test Positive
- Close Contact or Exposure
- Protect Yourself & Others
- Materials & Resources
- Guidance Library
- Stories of Community Outreach & Partnership
- Contact Us: COVID-19 Questions
- Health Care
- Congregate Settings & Care Facilities
- Businesses & Employers
- Schools & Child Care
- Institutions of Higher Education
Order Your Free At-Home Rapid Tests
Every home in Minnesota is eligible to order four rapid at-home COVID-19 tests once a month for free, while supplies last. Please Note: This program will end when supplies run out or no later than March 29, 2024.
Need help placing an order for your at-home tests?
Call the MDH COVID-19 public hotline 1-833-431-2053 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; 9 a.m.- 7 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday.
At-home testing helps determine your risk for spreading COVID-19
At-home rapid tests help detect the virus that causes COVID-19. You can do the nasal swab test anywhere and get results in about 15 minutes.
The at-home rapid antigen tests can be used at any time, such as if you have symptoms of COVID-19, were exposed to someone who has COVID-19, or before an indoor gathering. Learn more on COVID-19 Self-Testing. The tests available for order:
- Are rapid antigen at-home tests, not PCR
- Can be taken anywhere
- Give results within 15 minutes (no lab drop-off required)
- Work whether or not you have COVID-19 symptoms
- Work whether or not you are up to date on your COVID-19 vaccines
- Are also referred to as self-tests or over-the-counter (OTC) tests
Every home in Minnesota is eligible to order four rapid at-home COVID-19 tests once a month for free, while supplies last. You can order tests once per month, even if you have ordered tests in the past. Please Note: This program will end when supplies run out or no later than March 29, 2024.
- Follow the full testing instructions from the manufacturer found in the box.
- Remember to check the expiration date on your test kit before using it and do not use tests that are expired.
- Note: Some tests have been granted extensions on their expiration dates, so you may be able to use it for longer than it says on the box.
- You can look for the brand of test you have on the FDA At-Home OTC COVID-19 Diagnostic Tests web page to see if it has an extended expiration date. If it has an extended expiration date, there will be a link to a document showing Lot Numbers and expiration dates. Find the Lot Number printed on the test kit box and then look for that number on the list to see the new expiration date.
- BinaxOTC tests have an extended expiration date. Find out more: BinaxNOW: Expiration Dates.
Order Free Rapid At-Home COVID-19 Tests (PDF)
How to order free tests.