COVID-19 Test at Home
Minnesota and Vault Medical Services have teamed up to offer at-home COVID-19 saliva testing for everyone who lives in Minnesota, with or without symptoms, at no cost.
If you need an accommodation for a disability or require translation services please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vault: No-Cost COVID Testing For All Minnesotans
You can check the status of your test kit by logging into the Vault website. Note that shipping and delivery does not happen on Sundays or holidays. If you need a test immediately, visit Find Testing Locations for in-person options.
Once your test arrives, take the test and send it in as soon as possible. You can order another one in the future when you need it.
This saliva test is just as accurate as the nasal swab test. It checks whether you have COVID-19 right now and can spread it to others. It is not an antibody test that looks for whether you have had COVID-19 in the past.
DO NOT pay your insurance company or the testing provider for your COVID test - there is NO COST to you for the test.
All costs for this test are covered by your insurance company or the federal or state government. Insurance companies may send you an Explanation of Benefits or "EOB" showing the difference between the billed cost of this COVID test and what they have paid. It may even say that a portion is "patient responsibility." This is simply for your information. It is NOT a bill, and you do not need to pay anything. The testing company, Vault, accepts what your insurance pays as full payment.
About the test
- Saliva tests are provided to all Minnesotans at no cost, whether or not you have insurance.
- If you have insurance, you will need to provide your information so your insurance company can pay for your test. If your insurance does not pay for COVID-19 tests or does not pay enough, the state will cover the cost. If you do not have insurance, the state will pay for your test. Do not pay your insurance company or the testing provider for your COVID test.
- Do not enter your credit card information on the Vault website. If you are asked for this information, please close out of your browser and click the ordering link above to try again. You may need to open the link in a new private or incognito browser. Vault also provides paid tests nationally, so it’s important for Minnesotans to access the site through the above link to ensure they can get tests at no cost. If you have been charged for a test, please send an email to email@example.com.
- Both adults and children can use these tests, though they may not work well for children under age 4, who may not have enough saliva. An adult 18 or older must request a test for a child. Currently, a unique email address and account is required for each person who needs a test. This may mean that you have to create a new email for each of your minor children and household family members.
- Saliva testing may not be right for those with low saliva production, such as young children or someone who has suffered a stroke.
How to take the test
Do not eat, chew, or drink anything (even water) for at least 30 minutes before you take your test.
When you are ready to take the test, you will log in to access the the Vault virtual waiting room and do a video visit with a Vault test supervisor. You may have to wait for some time in the virtual waiting room, as a lot of people are taking tests. The test supervisor will give you instructions and make sure you do the test the right way.
You will then send the test to a Vault lab in Minnesota or New Jersey using the prepaid package that came with the test. Once it arrives at the lab, you will get your test results by email in 24-48 hours.
After taking the test
I Got Tested - Now What?
Learn more about what to expect after getting tested.
What to Do While You Wait for a COVID-19 Test Result
Includes printable PDF in multiple languages.
Promotional flyer: COVID-19 Test at Home (PDF)
- COVID-19 Test at Home in Amharic (PDF)
- COVID-19 Test at Home in Arabic (PDF)
- COVID-19 Test at Home in Chinese (PDF)
- COVID-19 Test at Home in Hmong (PDF)
- COVID-19 Test at Home in Karen (PDF)
- COVID-19 Test at Home in Lao (PDF)
- COVID-19 Test at Home in Oromo (PDF)
- COVID-19 Test at Home in Russian (PDF)
- COVID-19 Test at Home in Somali (PDF)
- COVID-19 Test at Home in Spanish (PDF)
- COVID-19 Test at Home in Vietnamese (PDF)
No-barrier, in-person testing options: COVID-19 Community Testing Sites
Questions or comments
If you have questions about saliva testing, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-800-5698. A Vault representative will return your message as soon as possible.
Have a Complaint?
Issues with getting your test results or complaints about insurance or fraud.