COVID-19 Test at Home
Minnesota and Vault Medical Services have teamed up to offer at-home COVID-19 saliva testing for everyone who lives in Minnesota, with or without symptoms, at no cost.
Vault: No-Cost COVID Testing For All Minnesotans
Tests are shipping as quickly as possible. Due to high demand, you may experience delivery delays. Note that shipping and delivery does not happen on Sundays or holidays. You can check the status of your test kit by logging into the Vault website. If you need a test immediately, visit Find Testing Locations for in-person options.
This saliva test is just as accurate as the nasal swab test. It checks whether you have COVID-19 right now and can spread it to others. It is not an antibody test that looks for whether you have had COVID-19 in the past.
About the test
- Saliva tests are provided to all Minnesotans at no cost, whether or not you have insurance.
- If you have insurance, you will need to provide your information so your insurance company can pay for your test. If your insurance does not pay for COVID-19 tests or does not pay enough, the state will cover the cost. If you do not have insurance, the state will pay for your test. You will not receive a bill.
- Do not enter your credit card information on the Vault website. If you are asked for this information, please close out of your browser and click the ordering link above to try again. You may need to open the link in a new private or incognito browser. Vault also provides paid tests nationally, so it’s important for Minnesotans to access the site through the above link to ensure they can get tests at no cost. If you have been charged for a test, please send an email to email@example.com.
- Both adults and children can use these tests, though they may not work well for children under age 4, who may not have enough saliva. An adult 18 or older must request a test for a child.
- Saliva testing may not be right for those with low saliva production, such as young children or someone who has suffered a stroke.
How to take the test
Do not eat, chew, or drink anything (even water) for at least 30 minutes before you take your test.
When you are ready to take the test, you will log in to access the the Vault virtual waiting room and do a video visit with a Vault test supervisor. You may have to wait for some time in the virtual waiting room, as a lot of people are taking tests. The test supervisor will give you instructions and make sure you do the test the right way.
You will then send the test to the lab in Oakdale, Minnesota, using the prepaid package that came with the test. Once it arrives at the lab, you will get your test results by email in 24-48 hours.
After taking the test
I Got Tested - Now What?
Learn more about what to expect after getting tested.
What to Do While You Wait for a COVID-19 Test Result
Includes printable PDF in multiple languages.
Promotional flyer: COVID-19 Test at Home (PDF)
No-cost, in-person testing options: COVID-19 Community Testing Sites
Questions or comments
If you have questions about saliva testing, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-800-5698. A Vault representative will return your message as soon as possible.
Have a Complaint?
Issues with getting your test results or complaints about insurance or fraud.