The Resources for Providers page has been updated to include a section addressing adult-use cannabis and hemp-derived THC product consumption in long-term care facilities. You can also click here to go directly to the Frequently-Asked Questions about Cannabis Use page.
This guidance was created as a collaborative effort with the Office of the Ombudsman for Long-Term Care, Minnesota’s Long Term Care Imperative, and staff from the Minnesota Department of Health to respond to questions regarding recreational adult-use cannabis submitted by long-term care providers. It is not intended to be used by the general public.
This guidance is not intended to provide guidance for medical marijuana use, and may not address all provider questions. Facilities are encouraged to work with their legal teams to ensure compliance with all state and federal requirements.
The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) sponsored a statewide Nursing Home Regulatory call on January 16, 2023.
This call will provided updates on implementation of federal nursing home regulation guidelines as well as the following topics:
- Top citations for the 1st quarter in fiscal year 2024
- Complaint data for the 1st quarter for fiscal year 2024
- Pneumococcal Vaccinations
- Past noncompliance
- Arbitration Agreements
Presentations Slides: 2024-01-16 Federal Evaluation and Rapid Response Updates (PDF)
Recording of Call: 2024-01-16 Nursing Home Regulatory Call (YouTube, 31:36)
The Health Regulation Division at the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) will host a public meeting for presentation of the 2024 proposals for exceptions to the nursing home moratorium on Tuesday, February 13, from 8:50 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. via Teams.
Minnesota currently has a nursing home moratorium. Every biennium the legislature provides money to allow nursing homes to apply for an exception according to Minnesota Statues, section 144A.073.
MDH's Health Regulation Division approves exceptions for facilities to the nursing home moratorium. The current appropriation is $5,845,603.
Eight proposals will be reviewed at this public meeting.
For more information and a link to join the call, visit the Nursing Home and Certified Boarding Care Home Moratorium Exceptions page.
Consumers, Families and Caregivers
- Choosing a Facility
- Find a health care facility or provider
- Patient, Resident and Home Care Bill of Rights
- Ombudsman for Long-Term Care
- Filing a Complaint
Federal and State Survey and Complaint Results
- Inspection and Complaint Results
- Nursing Home Report Card
- Medicare.gov Nursing Home Compare
- Search for Complaints
- Office of Health Facility Complaints
- Health Regulation Division Legislative Reports
- Stratis Health
- Lake Superior Quality Innovation Network
- Quality Improvement Organizations
- Administration for Community Living - Prevention of Elder Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation
- Minnesota Elder Justice Center
Licensing and Certification
- Nursing Home State Licensing and Federal Certification Requirements
- Moratorium Application Materials
- S&C's Quality, Certification and Oversight Reports (QCOR)
- COVID-19-Related Bed, Capacity and/or Service Change Application Form (PDF)
- Resources for Providers
- Nurse Aide Training Competency Evaluation Program (NATCEP) Waiver Request (PDF)
- Submitting a Report: Nursing Home/Swing Bed Incident Reporting (NHIR)
- Federal CMS Nursing Home Regulation Resources
- Nursing Home Receivership Managing Agent Candidates
- Nursing Home Training Videos
- Information Bulletin Index
- Nursing Home Emergency Preparedness
Related MDH Sites
- Case Mix Review Program
- Home Care and Assisted Living
- Medicare-certified Home Health Agencies (HHAs)
- Directory of Registered Supplemental Nursing Services Agencies (SNSAs)
- Nursing Assistant Registry
- Minnesota Nurses in Nursing Homes Loan Forgiveness Guidelines