Breast Pumps: Orders and Claims Process
Expressing milk can help individuals reach their breastfeeding goals. Certain breast pumps and lactation accessories can be items that directly support breastfeeding.
- The state WIC program has guidance to determine if a pump or lactation accessory is a reasonable and necessary cost, see Section 6.11: Supporting breastfeeding through breast pump access and education on expressing milk for examples.
- For more information about allowable and unallowable expenses, see Exhibit 2-D WIC Costs: Allowable and Unallowable.
MN WIC agencies may currently purchase breast pumps through any supplier. MMCAP Infuse is one source for pumps and lactation accessories. MMCAP is part of the MN Department of Administration. Through MMCAP, Local Agencies can purchase from several different manufacturers. The lists are provided by the distributors and not everything on the list is WIC-allowed.
Questions about breast pumps and lactation accessories? Contact Rosie.Pierce-Martin@state.mn.us.
MMCAP Infuse Distributors and Brands Available
- McKesson Medical-Surgical (Ameda, Ardo, Hygeia, Lansinoh, Medela, Unimom, Zomee) *note- Must Call vendor to validate WIC status to lift "Restricted" status.
- Medical Solutions, Inc. (Ameda,Hygeia)
- Concordance Healthcare Solutions (Medela)
See WIC Breast Pumps and Accessories (PDF) for more information about MMCAP Infuse.
If you want to activate your membership, or need your MMCAP ID number, contact membership at: email@example.com or 651-201-2320.
For a list of products and pricing, contact: Michael.Baumann@state.mn.us.
Starting with the 2022 WIC grants, the claims process for breast pumps has changed.
WIC Grantees will receive $2,500 annually to use for non-recurring supplemental expenses that support WIC services, such as breast pumps.
Local Agencies will not need state agency approval to incur these expenses and should communicate with their financial staff to submit and itemize these expenses on the monthly WIC Claim for Reimbursement form on the "Other" line, or if included within another category on the form, provide an explanation of the purchased item(s)in the "remarks" section.
The State Agency will monitor these expenses for appropriateness on the monthly claim forms and during biennial financial reviews.
Questions about the claims process? Contact your State WIC Consultant.