Health Economics Program
- Health Access Survey
- Minnesota All Payer Claims Database (MN APCD)
- Health Care Quality Measures
- Rx Price Transparency
- Market Oversight
- Study of Telehealth Expansion
- Hospital Bed Moratorium
- Implementation Updates
- RFP: Monitoring Spending and Affordability
Hospital Bed Moratorium
The 2004 Minnesota Legislature passed a law establishing a public interest review process for hospitals seeking exceptions to the state’s hospital bed moratorium law (Minnesota Statutes Chapter 144.552). Under this process, a hospital seeking to increase its number of licensed beds or an organization seeking to obtain a hospital license must submit a plan to the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH). MDH is required to review the plan and issue a finding on whether the plan is in the public interest.
In conducting its review, the MDH is required to consider certain issues, including the following:
- Whether the new hospital or hospital beds are needed to provide timely access to care or access to new or improved services.
- The financial impact of the new hospital or hospital beds on existing acute-care hospitals that have emergency departments in the region.
- How the new hospital or hospital beds will affect the ability of existing hospitals in the region to maintain existing staff.
- The extent to which the new hospital or hospital beds will provide services to nonpaying or low-income patients relative to the level of services provided to these groups by existing hospitals in the region.
- The views of affected parties.
Under the statute, MDH must issue a finding within 150 days after sending a notice of complete application.
Long-term Acute Care Hospital
MDH is holding a public meeting to solicit public input on the below proposals. During the meeting, the MDH Division of Health Policy is inviting any comments on the proposals.
This public meeting will be held December 6, 2023, 6 p.m.- 8 p.m.
or by phone +1-415-655-0003 United States Toll
Need help joining the Webex meeting? Visit the Webex Help Center.
If you have a comment about the proposal, please submit via the Online Public Comment Form for Proposed Hospitals or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any comments received by January 5, 2023, will be included in MDH reviews and proposals.
Letters of Intent
Proposals Under Review
- Children's Minnesota
- Fairview Health Services/Acadia Healthcare
- North Shore Health
- PrairieCare Brooklyn Park - Submission filed September 2021
- Regions Hospital - Submission filed November 2017
- Tandem Hospital Partners
- PrairieCare Brooklyn Park - Submission filed August 2016
- PrairieCare Maple Grove
- Sanford Thief River Falls Psychiatric Hospital
- Perham Health Psychiatric Hospital
- Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital
Completed Facility Reviews
- Proposal for a Specialty Psychiatric Hospital in Woodbury, Minn. (PDF)
- Proposal for a New Inpatient Facility in Cass County, Minn. (PDF)
- Fairview Health Services Proposal for a New Inpatient Facility in Maple Grove, Minn. (PDF)
- North Memorial Health Care Proposal for a New Inpatient Facility in Maple Grove, Minn. (PDF)
- Maple Grove Tri-Care Partnership Proposal for a New Inpatient Facility in Maple Grove, Minn. (PDF)