Bed and Breakfast Operations: Food, Beverage, and Lodging (FBL) - EH: Minnesota Department of Health

Bed and Breakfast Operations
Food, Pools, and Lodging Services (FPLS)

A “Bed and Breakfast” operation, in the jurisdiction of the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH), requires:

  1. a hotel/motel license; and
  2. a restaurant license.

To find out if MDH or another agency will license your establishment, see:

All of the applicable provisions apply:

Hot tubs and pools must comply with:

Some operations are located in what normally would be considered a private home; rooms are rented on a nightly basis just as a hotel or motel. The MDH will license these operations that have one or more beds available, as a hotel or motel.

An MDH plan review may be required and plans are needed for all portions of the operation, such as upgrading the private water supply or private on-site sewage disposal system, food establishment or lodging facilities.

If food service is offered in the morning, it is to be licensed as a restaurant. Please contact your local environmental health specialist to discuss food-licensing options.

Proper zoning and approval from the municipality or township for the operation of a Bed and Breakfast establishment must be demonstrated to MDH before we will consider any plan review, site inspection or other steps toward the issuance of a license.

State Fire Marshal (SFM) approval is required:

State and Local business licenses, Minnesota Sales and Use tax, Insurance and Workers' Compensation requirements are also the responsibility of the operator.

Note: In areas under the jurisdiction of a local Community Health Service agency, inquiries should be directed to that agency.

Updated Monday, 15-Apr-2019 08:08:23 CDT