- HIV/AIDS Statistics Home
- HIV Care Continuum
- Outbreak Response & Case Counts
- Statistics - 2022
- Statistics - 2021
- Statistics - 2020
- Statistics - 2019
- Statistics - 2018
- Statistics - 2017
- Newly Diagnosed HIV Cases by County
HIV/AIDS Statistics - 2021
Overall, the number of newly diagnosed HIV infections reported increased 8%, with 298 cases reported in 2021, compared to 275 in 2019*.
- Almost two-thirds (65%) of new HIV cases are among communities of color.
- The number of reported people living with HIV/AIDS in Minnesota is 9,697.
Two ongoing outbreaks of HIV have influenced the number of newly diagnosed cases in 2021:
- The Hennepin County and Ramsey County outbreak among people who inject drugs declared in February 2020.
- The Duluth area outbreak among all newly diagnosed HIV cases of residents declared in March 2021.
For more information, please visit HIV Outbreak Response and Case Counts.
*The COVID-19 pandemic led to disruptions in HIV testing and access to clinical services throughout 2020, impacting HIV diagnoses in 2020. Given these disruptions, data for 2020 should be interpreted with caution. Since the COVID-19 pandemic is still ongoing, more time and data are needed to accurately assess COVID-19's impact on HIV in the United States. Assessments of trends in HIV diagnoses that include the year 2020 are discouraged.
Data Release Webinar
Recording: Annual HIV/STD 2021 Data Release Live Webinar
This document answers questions asked during the live webinar.
Slides with no audio narration: HIV 2021 Data Release (PPT)
- HIV Incidence Report, 2021 (PPT)
This report describes the occurrence of reported HIV infections in Minnesota by person, place, and time through December 31, 2021. Such data provide information about where and among whom HIV transmission is likely occurring. This knowledge can in turn be used to help educate, target prevention efforts, plan for services, and develop policy.
- HIV/AIDS Prevalence and Mortality Report, 2021 (PPT)
This report contains estimates of HIV/AIDS prevalence (the number of people living with HIV or AIDS) and mortality in Minnesota. These estimates can be used to help educate, plan for HIV/AIDS services and develop policy.
- 2021 Surveillance Technical Notes (PDF)
The HIV/AIDS Surveillance Technical Notes are a supplement to the HIV Incidence and HIV/AIDS Prevalence and Mortality Reports.