Drinking Water Protection
- Drinking Water and COVID-19
- Drinking Water Protection Home
- About Us
- A-Z Index of Contaminants in Water
- Community Public Water Supply
- Drinking Water Institute
- Drinking Water in Schools and Child Cares
- Drinking Water Revolving Fund
- Laws and Rules
- Noncommunity Public Water Supply
- Source Water Protection
- Water Operator and Certification Training
- Drinking Water Protection Contacts
- Annual Reports
- Drinking Water Risk Communication Toolkit
- Fact Sheets
- Invisible Heroes Videos: Minnesota's Drinking Water Providers
- Noncom Notes Newsletter
- Sample Collection Procedures (videos, pictures, written instructions)
- Waterline Newsletter
- 10 States Standards
- Clean Water Fund
- Health Risk Assessment – Guidance Values and Standards for Water
- Minnesota Well Index
- Water and Health
- Wells and Borings
Environmental Health Division
Drinking Water Protection
The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) is the state authority for drinking water. Several programs at MDH work together to ensure safe and adequate drinking water. The Drinking Water Protection program focuses on public water systems. Public water systems serve 25 people or more in places where they live, work, gather and play.
Drinking Water and COVID-19
Together in partnership with public water systems, the Drinking Water Protection Section at MDH will continue working to ensure the delivery of safe and sufficient drinking water to all Minnesotans throughout the COVID-19 response.
- Visit Drinking Water and COVID-19 for more information and general updates about COVID-19 related to drinking water.
- Public water systems can visit Public Water Systems and COVID-19 for information and updates about COVID-19 related to drinking water utilities.
- About the Drinking Water Protection program, with links to program sites.
- Information about contaminants that could be found in drinking water and sources of drinking water like groundwater, rivers, and lakes.
- Questions and answers on bottled water versus tap water.
- Drinking water protection annual reports by year.
- WaterWorks! A Drinking Water Institute for Educators is an annual institute for teachers to learn about drinking water and how to teach it in their classrooms.
- Protecting drinking water quality in schools and child cares and educating teachers, parents, and students about drinking water.
- Links to laws and rules pertaining to drinking water protection in Minnesota.
- Information about public drinking water supplies in Minnesota.
- Drinking water protection fact sheets and advisory guidance documents.
- Overview of types of devices used to treat water and considerations for purchasing.
- Videos highlighting public water providers.
- Information about plan review of drinking water construction projects.
- Strategies and tools for communicating about drinking water.
- Information about public drinking water systems in Minnesota.
- Information about strategic projects and initiatives.
- A quarterly publication for water operators and others as well as a list of feature stories about water systems.
- Contact information for Drinking Water Protection program staff.
News and Updates
Interactive Dashboard for PFAS in Drinking Water
- Testing PFAS in Minnesota Drinking Water (PDF)
- Drinking Water Protection in Minnesota (PDF)
- Radon and Operator Safety in Drinking Water Treatment Plants